LegacyGT.com

5 channel amp under LGT passenger seat?

elib

Anyone fit a 5 channel amp under the passenger seat of a 08ish LGT? I'm thinking about a clean sweep feeding a 5 channel amp with some seperates in my doors and a stealth 10" in the trunk. I just can't figure out a good spot for the amp. Under the passenger seat would be perfect as I like to be able to fold down my rear seats when I need to haul stuff which is often.

I have run many different amps under my drivers seat.

First a Alpine 300w mono-block --> 10" JL W1

THEN

Rockport 4ch amp to power doors

NOW

Alpine 4 channel amp... fronts --> doors

rear (BR) --> JL w3

I have driven for hours at a time and have never had a heat problem.

its one of the cheap ones too! great clean power. I am a home/headphone audiophile with a collection of Yamaha Studio Monitors (NS10, NS1000, HS50m, HS80m) as well as a Little Dot tube headphone amp, AKG k701 (balanced) and Shure e5 IEMs.

My point? not to brag about my gear fetish... The amp really does put out great clean power for a modest stereo/sub install for cheap!!! YAY!

I've been eyeballing putting my two Alpine PDX amps under the fronts seats. Didn't look too promising. Seemed awfully tight when trying to slide them under the seats. I don't believe these are any taller than the other amps mentioned. How much space do you have between the top of the amp and bottom of the seat?

i have a amp Dimensions 2" H x 11.25" W x 11.25" D

Harmon Kardon Drive + Play and a line out converter all under the passenger seat

you can unbolt the seat yourself and see if theres enough room, torque specs on the seat bolt 39.1 ft-lb

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I never said there wasn't enough room, just that I don't like it. It is too tight for me. 1-2 inches of clearance from a foot, or the seat is not enough for me.

I don't have those nice cool running digital amps. I might squeeze an Alpine PDX down there.

And what i am saying IS...

I have a crapy alpine amp and it runs great!

ALSO

I have about 2" between the top of the amp and the VISIBLE bottom of the seat. Remember that under the "ass" of the seat, there is even more room. I have had my friend who wears a size 13 sit behind me and he could have his feet on the ground and didn't know there was an amp there until i told him to watch out for it.

Sounds good.

Best thing to do is pop the seat bolts and lay it back and test fit. If if fits great. if not, it only took 5 minutes to find out. Just depends on the amp. Some people are having good experiences with placing an amp down there.

You can fit an amp under that seat, just depends on how big it is. I have both of my amps (one for components, one for the sub) under the seats of my legacy. Two things, mind your clearance and make sure you can move the seat all the way up and all the way back without hitting the amp. The amp may get hot, and even if you can move the seat around take a look at the clearance. The other is that there are vents under the front seats that push air on the amp, this air happens to be whatever the A/C system is pushing - hot or cold. I dont have a problem but ive heard of people with amps that protect on overheating having their amps shut themselves down under the seat. Good luck.

I put a Profile California mono amp under the passenger seat. Can't remember the dimensions of the amp, but it's far enough under that the person sitting in the back seat can barely hit it with their feet. I can attest to the vent pouring everything onto the amp, but I've never had overheat issues, in any weather.

Archived