LegacyGT.com

The clutch on my Legacy

I've had an Nissan Laurel -87 2.8DLX, and a Opel Senator -92 3.0l.

I don't think you get my point here ehsnils. I'm just trying to find out if there is something wrong with my Legacy, or if it's a weak spot on every Legacy of this kind. I'm not trying to say how bad a Legacy is, so you dont have to defend it, ehsnils.

I wouldn't call it a weak spot in the least. If you just bought this car chances are it had a worn clutch to begin with. Do these cars burn through clutches? No. And even if they did there are aftermarket clutches out there with different friction material that will last just as long as other clutches for the same money.

And might I ask where you live? I have a feeling that if you're driving Opels you also have the 2.0L European spec Legacy.

Yes, i had to replace it. But if none of you guys says that its just as good as any other car, can there be something wrong with mine? Something which makes it gets easily worn out?

I live in Norway, so I have a 2.2l European spec Legacy, yes^^

• 5 weeks later...

ya you bought it used haha. it was already worn out. and no they don't really burn through clutches any faster then any other car. only the slightest, cause of the awd. So don't try and burn out by dropping the clutch, unless your on dirt/snow/ice/water basically loose ground. but still if you treat it right. and brand new stock OEM clutch will last 200,000-300,000 miles.

also. from a dead stop for reference i usually let off the clutch at about 1,500 rpms to start going. any higher and you'll smell a little clutch sometimes.

1,500? That seems a little high. I haven't driven a first gen Legacy manual, but I have driven other countless manual transmissions including a 1997 Hyundai Accent 1.5L and a 1991 Toyota Corolla 1.6L (The least powerful stick shift cars I've driven) and even those will take off fine below 1,500 RPM. Generally when I drive a manual transmission I start letting out the clutch a little before I get on the gas, just enough so the engine just starts to drop RPM's. Then I get on the gas and finish letting the clutch out. Saves the friction material on the clutch from getting too hot and all but eliminates wheelspin, not that you need to worry about that with a 4WD car. Either way he might not even have a 4WD car. It might be the 2WD model for all we know. I bet since his car has ABS that it is AWD though, since I don't think they made the 2WD versions with ABS.

yes i agree with that. and to be honest i should of said in the scale of 750-1,500 rpms. if you start on a hill. sometimes 1,500 is what u need not to bog out and kill it. ya I've never seen 2wd that has ABS with subaru. makes more sense that the AWD would be more important that the ABS as a safety feature.

Archived