LegacyGT.com

1997 GT swap with 95 L

Okay I know this may sound different but am kinda new to the engine aspect of subarus. Here is the situation, I own a 1997 subaru GT and the engine and the powertrain are great, but the body is pretty much toast after a wreck. I was able to drive the car home after the wreck all body issues and rear trunk damage. I got offered a 95 subaru L for a decent price but the headgasket is shot so I was wondering if it would be possible to swap just the EJ25 for EJ22, also the 95 is manual and mine was auto. What Would I have to change out, the ECU and other stuff? was wonder thanks for looking.

hey pluff30,

Sounds like a good project that you have on your hands, salvage any and everything you can from that gt. The differences that you should grab are the front and rear bumper(which have the gt lip), side skirts, hood scoop, spoiler, badging, and of course the motor, ecu and harness.

First off the ej25 will fit directly in there without any uncommon problems, the problem you will run into wiring harness as they might slightly different. You can find a shop manaul and sniff out which wire is which or there are shops that specialize in slicing wiring harnesses.

the tranny i would say keep it auto unless really wanna convert it over. Its a big hassle to do so, the engine is much quicker and painless.

Yea I did mean Legacy sorry for not clarifying. Tranny w/ the manual is in the L, the auto is in the GT. Don't really want to change the tranny want the manual. I just want to put the 2.5 in the Legacy (L) or should I just tranfer over the engine and tranny ? Thax for the help I appricate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Do any of you guys know if a transmission from a 1995 AWD Legacy L 2.2l would work in a 1998 LGT? They are both automatics but the tranny in my GT is being a pain, major lagging and rough shifts (I've been dealing with this for the last 2 1/2 years and I'm getting tired of it).. So I'm wondering if I could put the 1995 tranny in my GT to solve that problem. Any info you have on this would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
so dose this meen I can fit the 2.5L EJ257 engine with the 6 speed trany on

my 98 Subaru L that be super sweet

Yes you can do the engine and tranny swap, but get ready to throw 7-10k at it. Swapping the engine is hard enough, but doing the tranny is a whole new animal. You have to have all STi suspension parts down to new wheels as none of your current suspension parts will work. You ecu will take a whille to be wired with the dccd stuff, so terms you are going to be tearing everything out of your car engine, tranny, suspension, and exhuast. Hope you like your seats and radio :)

Hey WEST coast would it be a better idea to do 2.5GT torbo esear

and it would be nice to get the sti wouldint it be the same thing in a way?

So did you mean get a 2.5gt thats turbo (aka an 05lgt and up??)

or

turbo ej25 phase 1 from our cars and in hopes to make as much power as an stock sti engine?

If so then its a yes and no answer, Our engines have high compression which is due becasue we have an n/a engine. Low compression engines are usually kept for forced induction engines (turbo or supercharged) The compression has alot to do with piston and timing and all that good stuff that im not to versed on.

So when adding a turbo or supercharged to our high compression n/a engine you wont be hitting crazy fun fun numbers as you wont have much room for alot of boost which is what low compression engines are known to give you having all that extra room.

You can make a confortable 5-7lbs of boost (being on the safe side) whcih will put you as fast or faster(most likely faster) than a wrx and thats from what i heard with the avo turbo kit for our cars (look it up) There is also a supercharged kit for our cars as well and puts you at the respective same place as the turbo kit. Ethier one of those kits will cost you around 3-4grand and remeber your car must be in excellent performance shape to ensure that your engine can take the beating.

As for the ej255 or 7(basicly an STi engine) you can grab wayy more power bigger turbo, catless up and down pipes your internals are excellent shape and hopefully have under 100,000 on them. And then with an adepate tune from a shop, your in for a world of fun. Thing is, our automatics will have a turd of a time handling the power, and if in a 5spd make sure its ethier has upgraded internals, rebuilt to stock, or in verry verry excellent condition.

Your looking at putting down 15lbs of boost giving you a nice 260-300awhp.

For this engine and to get where you want it to be your looking around 4-5 grand for it to be done.

To give you another option that sorta inbetween, which is the wrx engine. They are not that pricey i see them go for 1500 for a well maintained engine with good miles, with it stock you can keep your automatic(but it recomended to upgrade to a 5spd) You can make some really nice power out of it with just going stage 2.

home this helps im too tired to tired to write any more but there you go haha tis 4:30am haha

Archived