LegacyGT.com

Hard to start when cold

Hello all, I have a 1994 Subaru Legacy that is hell to start in the mornings. I have changed the coolant temp. sensor. No change. I am at a loss. After it gets cranked, the rest of the day it fires right up and runs fine. The next morning...no go. Turnes over good just won't fire up unless I keep working the gas peddle. :spin:

This is a trouble spot with this engine. The cause is silicone build up on the coil pack terminals for the spark plug wires. You must remove the spark plug wires from the coil pack, and use a wire brush, a piece of Scotch-Brite, or even WD-40 and a rag to clean the inside of the terminals. Once they are clean, use a flathead screwdriver to spread open the metal connections on the spark plug wires a little bit to promote a better, tighter connection when you plug them back in. I also use zip ties on each spark plug wire to secure them to the poorly designed coil pack (Which has a slightly tapered terminal that lets the rubber boots on the wires slide right off).

Good luck! I had this problem too last winter and cleaning the coil did wonders. This winter it starts every morning bright and early with no issues.

Thankyou so much. I will try that in the morning when I get home. I was wondering if the coil might be a problem. But I figured if it was the coil it would give me problems all the time and not just in the mornings. That was on my list...to replace the coil.

Archived