LegacyGT.com

05 Mustang

Well, a little trash talking at work might have put in a spot to run against a new 05 mustang sometime soon. This guy I work with just bought one is thinks it the fastest car ever made to listen to him talk. So I told him it was probably slower than my little station wagon. I'm going to go out and take a good look at it later today, anybody run against one? any thoughts? I've already beat my coworkers auto 350 z a few months ago (very funny)but never said much about it to anyone at work, I like the sleeper effect. Oh, I'm stock except for summer tires. 5speed ltd

You will lose. Even if he's only a moderately good driver.

The 05 MGT manual is running low 5's to 60 and

mid to high 13's @ 101-102 mph.

Even at Stage 1 reflash you'd be hard pressed to hold with him.

You'd need Stage 2 to beat him.

Stock, you'll get the hole shot from a stop, but he'll reel you in and walk

on past probably by top of second, or early into third.

From a roll at nearly any speed, he'll pull away from you.

Give it a go, but don't put any money on it, or talk any trash beforehand...

you'll more than likely look like a fool afterward.

If he got a V6 auto, you'll whoop his arse. V6 manual, and you might be

surprised how close he'll stay to you...though you'll still take him.

^What he said ;)

Mustang GT 3450Lbs/300 HP = 11.5 lbs/hp

3450lbs/ 320TQ = 10.7 lbs/ftlb

Legacy GT 3500lbs/250 lbs = 14 lbs/hp

3500lbs/250 TQ = 14 lbs/ftlb

I was actually surprised to find the weight listed at 3450. I figured it would be a lot heavier.

Brian

I drove both (GT & LGT - MT) before I decided on buying LGT. Mustang was faster but didnt seem that much faster than the LGT when I drove them back to back. I still think youll get pulled but if your buddy spins his tires to much you may have a chance.

No money involved, just some good clean props. I honestly like the new mustang but didn't like all the bragging he was doing about it. big power for the money, checked online and it says 1/4 mile is 13.9 for the stang. Time will tell, even if he does beat me, it wont be by much and whats he gonna say? I can beat a station wagon :)

Where did you get that 13.9 time for the MGT....Edmunds.com and the lame drivers over there.

So you know....

MotorTrend has tested three so far (an automatic a manual and convertible manual)

and got these times:

05 MGT (manual)

0-60 in 5.1

1/4 in 13.5 @ 103.6

05 MGT (auto)

0-60 in 5.1 (they say 1st to 3rd are geared perfectly)

1/4 in 13.6 @ 99.9

05 MGT Convertible manual

0-60 in 5.2

1/4 in 13.8 @ 100.9

I believe most of the other car mags have gotten very similiar times.

Again, if he launches it well, you won't have a chance.

You'd need Stage 2 (maybe more in the heavier wagon...especially if you are a limited wagon) to run WITH him!!

Guest *Jedimaster*

You could beat him- it'd be a driver's race.

BTW, I don't race for $$$ either. I do race with the condition that if they lose (only if it's someone I talk to on a regular basis) that they have to refer to me as "daddy" for a week. :lol:

I would assume by this dude bragging it is a gt. So with that a REALLY hard launch by you, and too much in the throttle off the start by him and you could take it in fairly short race but that is really pushing it. Sorry but just being real. :D

grease

I'll post the results when/if we actually race. its funny though because this is the same thing everyone told me before I raced the 350z. maybe I'll try and talk him into a track race and not just a straight shot run.

05 MGT (manual)

0-60 in 5.1

1/4 in 13.5 @ 103.6

05 MGT (auto)

0-60 in 5.1 (they say 1st to 3rd are geared perfectly)

1/4 in 13.6 @ 99.9

Eh? Did Ford make the most effecient auto tranny EVAR?

I've never seen manual vs. auto numbers that closely matched... it just doesn't look right.

the auto is supposed to be very aggressively geared to get the good times

the new mustang would probably take you worse on a track than just the straight line run. I saw a comparo with the new GT, a 350z and a mazda rx-8 and the new GT won.

As others have said, you might have a chance in a short run with the awd launch,but if he's any kind of driver he'll reel you in pretty fast. I'd still run a mustang, but you're the underdog against the new ones.

Hafta agree on that one. same 0-60 time but the 3.5mph added on the trap only gets a tenth? Not making any sense..................

They mentioned it's because once you hit 4th gear in the auto, the

speed drastically drops off....they said obviously tall gearing in

4th and 5th in the auto for freeway MPG.

But the first 3 gears are perfectly matched and accelerate just as

hard as the manual.

Archived