LegacyGT.com

97 legacy outback CEL

Went about this the wrong way. Started throwing parts at the problem. CEL result misfire #3 cylinder. Replaced plugs and wires light came back on. Old plugs looked like the engine was burning lean and there is a black residue on the tip of the exhaust. The engine runs fine smooth and shows no signs of a misfire. Looking for suggestions besides throwing parts running out of money. Thanks for any help...Ed

did the light go away once the parts were replaced and then pop back on? or was it always on?

could just be a faulty code that needs clearing. a misfire is a misfire, and if things are running smoothly i wouldn't worry about it. hook it up to the obd and see what happens

Went about this the wrong way. Started throwing parts at the problem. CEL result misfire #3 cylinder. Replaced plugs and wires light came back on. Old plugs looked like the engine was burning lean and there is a black residue on the tip of the exhaust. The engine runs fine smooth and shows no signs of a misfire. Looking for suggestions besides throwing parts running out of money. Thanks for any help...Ed

plugs and wires are cheap and should be changed every so often, anyway. Replacing the plugs and wires cured my misfire; however, the plugs looks just fine - the gap was out of spec high, though.

I'd say check your coil pack, run a bottle of Techron, Gumout w/ Regane or Redline and see what happens.

How do you know your car is running lean? Black residue is normal for all cars.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Check the coil pack and make sure you'r actually getting spark, but if the engine is running fine you probably have a sensor problem. Generally I fix those by testing things for a few hours, maybe replacing a sensor or two, cursing a lot, throwing some wrenches against the wall and then giving up and taking the car to my mechanic.

Generally I fix those by testing things for a few hours, maybe replacing a sensor or two, cursing a lot, throwing some wrenches against the wall and then giving up and taking the car to my mechanic.

:lol: weve all been there dude. i would like to add something to it though. yelling at your car.

as for the problem goes. i would do what previous post said a just clear the code and see what happenes. if the car is misfiring, youd feel it. as long as its running smooth, just clear it and see if it comes back on.

Archived