LegacyGT.com

rimsy rimsss

After winter I was planning on buying rims and tires (thinking about toyo proxes T1R's) and lowering my car, but i can't find a rim i like. I would love to have volks (te37, vrg7, vrg10) but they are way out of my price range. also i was going to get 18 inch rims but a friend who knows his shit about car's and told me to stay with 17's. what do you guys recommend?

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=90_217_97

^ Not affiliated, but check it for styles/sizes. That's the page for 17/18" legacy fitment.

Personally, I'm going the STi bbs route in the spring. 17", forged, very light, and relatively economical. Sets come up from time to time on NASIOC. '04 fitment is required for the Legacy. They changed the bolt circle on the STi '05 on.

- Allen.

Why does he not like 18s? IMO 18s fit the car much better than most 17s. Depending on what you want to spend, you have quite of few options. Wheeldude is a good vendor and if you want a nice set of replica wheels (like the te37). If you want some name brand wheels, there are some pretty nice reasonably priced wheels out there. RPF1s have always been one of my favorite and you can pick up a set of 18x8 for under $1100.

17s will generally have cheaper tires, and tire shops will stock more 17 inch tires versus 18s. Other than that, not much reason to stick with 17s, unless you just want to have that much extra rubber on the tires, or if you want slightly lighter wheels. If you want to go to a big brake kit, you will probably have to go with an 18 inch wheel.

What about adjusting the speedometer/odometer? And I've heard the 18s can lead to a little rougher ride; Less rubber=less padding which leads to feeling more of the imperfections in the road. Any truth to that, because I was thinking about turning my stocks into winter wheels and upgrading to something sportier/better as well
It's cool; I'm with the band

In my last car I went from the stock 15" to aftermarket 18" wheels, and the change was so noticeable, I felt like I could feel a dime on the street if I drove over one. Going from 17" to 18" shouldn't be quite as drastic, and depending on what tire size you go with, it may not be noticeable at all. The tires I had on my 18"s were pretty skinny.

If you get the correct size tire, you shouldn't have to worry about the speedo/odo too much. With the right tire, you should be able to maintain the overall rotational mass.

If you get the correct size tire, you shouldn't have to worry about the speedo/odo too much. With the right tire, you should be able to maintain the overall rotational mass.

It's not the " rotational mass " you have to worry about.......it's the outside diameter of your selected wheel/tire combination. Roll a pencil across your desk.....then roll a fat majic marker across the sdame distance. Count the number of rotations of each and it will become clear how your speedo can be completely off if you don't match oringinal diameter. :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

yeah he told me 18's would a) throw my speedometer off b) compromise the handling and c) i'd have to adjust the wheel arches so they wouldn't rub. i've been to wheeldude.com it looks like a great site but i'm having trouble finding the perfect rim.

thanks for all the advice by the way guys.

I think 17' wheels are a perfect size for the Legacy and the 18' will look better and really make your ride stand out. Price wise, the 17' wheels will be a few hundred dollars cheaper, so it's really up to you.

I believe you can view plenty of wheels on the rim/wheel threads on this forum (see below). You may find 17's that have a design you might find perfect for your Legacy, especially with a nice drop.

Remember, if you live or drive through towns/cities with crappy roads the 18's (225/40/18) could feel like hell. However 17's (225/45/17) will feel much better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11208

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128838

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426 excellent source for choosing tires

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Here is a great site that will let you calculate the exact sizes of various rims/tires and how they will fit your car. I went from the stock 17" wheels to OZ Racing 18X8 with 48mm offset...Pirelli P Zero Nero 225/40/18.......Perfect fit with NO issues...BTW the switch eliminated my speedo error.....Dead on now according to my GPS and local radar.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Mine is the front one...Silver LGT

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/Feb1409-2.jpg

yeah he told me 18's would a) throw my speedometer off b) compromise the handling and c) i'd have to adjust the wheel arches so they wouldn't rub.

I don't know why people still throw this misinformation around. All you need is the right sized tire. Your car will probably handle better given that you can run a wider tire, too.

I have 18's chillin in my garage right now. They didn't seem to ride that much harder than the factory 16's.

its not the rim size, its the sidewall size that effects the ride. I have 19's, running a 35 sidewall. They grip like mad, but they are harsh. Id try to stick with at least a 40 series

Yep, also the type of drop you plan to make (if any).

Hell, if you don't drop the car you can run a 45 series on an 18's but it would start to look more like an Outback. :rolleyes:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived