LegacyGT.com

Remote Start acts funny when it's cold outside.

I know the subject of this thread is kinda stupid, but I don't know how else to put it. When I bought my Subaru in 2007 it came with the remote start already installed, but due to where I worked at the time, I never really used it. Since then, I have a new job which allows me to use the remote starter (I am closer to the parking lot). However, sometimes when I hit the remote to start the car....I get in and all of my radio stations are erased out. It seems to do it more when the car is cold, when I used to do it in the fall the memory in the radio did not erase. It's just very annoying that I have to load the presets every time I use the remote starter. Does anyone know why this would be happening?? I didn't take it to the dealer yet, just wanted to try the board first.

Just off the top of my head, is the car a little hard to start? If the battery is damaged/low, and the car tries to start with the lights on, then the voltage could be low enough to cause the radio to lose its memory. I might recommend having the charging system tested, as well as the battery... usually pretty cheap test at most shops.

I don't know if the Subaru shipped with factory remote start... mine didn't have that option (2006)... so if it's an aftermarket unit, you may not get much help from the dealer. Certainly ask them, but just be aware they may not be helpful.

I am having mine replaced on my 2007 LGT under warranty. It is a Subie factory unit (made by audiovox.) I'm under the impression these were dealer installed. Had gone to my dealer b/c the thing would sound the alarm everytime I tried to remote start it. Dealer said it was installed incorrectly which fried the board.

Edit:

Whoever installed it probably boned the ignition hookups good like.

I suggest checking the ignition wiring to the remote start.. sounds like he might have an accessory wire hooked up as ignition 2... or something stupid along those lines.

I had an '07 outback sedan with dealer installed remote start and it did that exact same thing.. only a 2 year lease so didn't pursue a fix. Also had a radio reception/buzzing sound issue when rear window defroster was on.. odd. Should be a warranty repair for you though.

I had the same exact problem about 2 years ago with my 07..... Mine ended up being the "faulty radio" thing that can be searched for here. In the cold weather, I would get in the car and all of my presets would be gone and the cd's would go to CD1 Track1.... but it had nothing to do with my factory remote start.

Yep! it's "07 Radio Problems"

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53847&highlight=radio+lost+presets

Here's what I wrote in that thread:

Here's the findings from today:

"Cust States whe ncar sits overnight all memory is erased from vehicle. all presets are cleared. chk &report." ..."Checked for erased memory. Radio stations were not set. climate control the same overnight. Battery tested ok. called techline found if satellite installed car draws off of radio. customer has aftermarket satellite installed. after more checkout found poss radio short inside. Ordered exchange unit." Clain #xxxxx

I'm really not crazy about some dude pulling my interior apart to get to my radio....I'm a stickler for details, and I'm SURE that it'll never be the same...

they actually did a great job witht he car, and replacing the radio did the trick....oh, and Mine IS the factory remote start, but I installed it myself to save the $$$ (the kit comes with detailed instructions..as all subaru accessories do) :)

I just read a thread on "how long did your OEM battery last".

People mentioned that just before their batteries went out that they would expierence loss of preset radio stations.

I believe your local O'riley auto parts (thats what we have up here) will test your system for free. I am always biased though because they want you to buy new batteries so who knows how accurate their test systems are.

I would check your battery first.

My problem is with the factory remote start. Since I have had the car, starting it with the key has never cleared the presets. But, as soon as I use the starter in cold weather it wipes them out. I do notice that it resets my Seat Belt chime also. I will check the battery anyways, I don't believe that I have had it replaced yet.

I don't know if the Subaru shipped with factory remote start... mine didn't have that option (2006)... so if it's an aftermarket unit, you may not get much help from the dealer. Certainly ask them, but just be aware they may not be helpful.

It was an option, but as you have a MT you couldn't have one (AT only).

Archived