LegacyGT.com

92 ej22 problems

hey my legacy sedan needs some help that i can seem to provide. alright it seems like i have a loss in power before 4 grand, like almost to stall point. i don't know how else to say whats wrong than it feels like she has decided to apply the brakes until 4100.

92 legacy ej22 na.

feel free to ask any needed questions because i really don't know much about subarus unfortunately. thank you for any insight

ps skipped info on accident: smells a little rich at times and occasional misfire

Not much info to go on.

I would suggest that you start with checking that everything is in good order - vacuum hoses, no codes on the ECU and if you have a MAF sensor - that it's clean.

Injector cleaner may also help.

It is also possible that there are modifications causing this. A change in air intake can cause incorrect resonance that messes up things. A bad sensor is another thing, especially throttle position and/or manifold pressure.

And make sure that the ignition system is in good working order. Fresh spark plug cables, clean ignition coils and new spark plugs.

453747.png

new plugs wires and the coils are pretty clean. put a new air filter in but it was just a stock sized k&n one. haven't really checked maf, im a carburated guy so i forget that often. i'll check for codes. and vacuum hoses seem alright to me

ps thank you for responding

Like said before, check all vacuum lines and spark plug wires. These cars had an issue with the Phase I EJ22 ignition coil where buildup would occur in the terminals for the spark plug wires. I had a problem with it last year that made the car VERY hard to start in cold weather. Once I cleaned the coil pack the problem went away.

Is it a hesitation or a total loss in power? Does the car accelerate like normal, then bog, then continue to accelerate again, or does it just get louder and go nowhere until it crawls to 4G's?

• 2 weeks later...

so i cleaned the coil again and it performed a lot better in first and kinda better in second. also checked maf and it was excessively cleaner than i could have imagined. o and ehsnils i tried injector cleaner first. is it any possibility that the fuel pump is going out? also my battery was heading toward death before i parked her and now its frankly needing replaced. the alt was replaced sometime before i acquired the car with a mitsubishi one.

any other ideas?

Archived