LegacyGT.com

odd engine coolant issue.

Hey guys, just picked up a 97 legacy gt 5mt with 160,437 miles on the clock. It has new clutch, water pump, head gaskets, belts, the works. I love it so far, but I'm having a odd heat issue, and I DON'T think its head gaskets.

The car does not take long to warm up, about like any other car. When at idol once at normal temps the temp gause is normal, and it blows hot air, when driving at normal speeds, temp gause is normal and blows hot air.

But when I hit the magic number of 80mph, the temp gauge goes cold and the heat blows cold, I drop down to 78mph and heat comes back on the gauge and in the vents. Its very consistan and percisely at 80mph, every time.

Is this common with these cars, or is it something else. I think its a bad or stuck open thermostat because there is no coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, no white smoke, and no coolant res. Overflow. Also note that is has new head gaskets, new water pump, new clutch, but I don't believe it has a new thermostat...

Let me know guys.

Thanks,

-Ben

I would imagine the only reason it would be speed specific would be that at 80 there is enough air flowing through the radiator that the coolant cools off quicker than it can build heat up, but at slower speeds it can build heat. (Keep in mind this is assuming the thermostat is stuck open, and also keep in mind its a high of 38 degrees ferenhight here right now) lol

Drove 80 in 4th gear, temp dropped faster. I think its thermostat stuck open or missing. Ill replace it when I get paid next week and let everyone know.

Any tips or "good to knows" about doin a thermostat on the ej25, or is it just like every other one? I have worked on quite a few cars, just not on a boxer. :)

Thanks,

-Ben

Shouldn't be a big issue. From what I could see in the haynes manual it seems to be located on the underside of the engine, but it may be on another location on your engine. At least - the radiator is involved and it's usually held with two bolts, so...

Just make sure that you bleed the system thoroughly from air afterwards.

453747.png

Or you could drive below 80? :D hahah

yeah sounds like a thermostat. ABSOLUTELY make sure to bleed the air when filling it back up. my brother wanted to help when i was doing the waterpump/tstat/timing belt on mine, and he never popped the bleeder valve. wound up with a slug of air...glad i caught it before i drove anywhere really far. good luck let us know how it ends up

I usually don't drive that fast, but ocasionally I do on a stretch of major highway I drive that is 75mph, so 80 is no big. Lol and I kinda looked on my lunch break and didn't see the thermostat housing, is it under the intake mani, or on the botom side of the motor? I have yet to get a haynes manual, but plan 2 before I do the Thermostat.

Page 3-3 in the haynes manual gives good directions. Its really easy to do, but i do recomend going to the stealership and buying their thermostat. I had issues with the napa and carquest thermostats until I bought the stealership one. Kinda spendy for a thermostat but works good.

Archived