LegacyGT.com

The 2005 Mini Cooper S....

I saw the '05 Mini Cooper S in automatic and fell in love. From what I been reading, it will run 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Not too bad considering my '05 LGT Limited automatic does it in 6.5 seconds.

I dunno, I been drooling over it since I went to the autoshow.

Any thoughts?

- Mike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're awesome cars, and out of the box, the handling is extraordinary. They define the word "tossable." There's a bit of supercharger lag, but I drove a manual. The automatic might be different.

If I didn't have to haul bicycles and dogs around, I'd be all over one.

Kevin

Neat cars...they certainly have some stuff going for them. However its certainly not my style, among other things its a little too small. Not to mention that price tag, there are better choices for that $. Good car for a wife / girlfriend, but not me.

Where did you read that the 05 Mini S would hit

60 in 6.8 seconds with an auto?

That would be faster than the 04 Mini S with a manual and

they only gave it what 5 more hp for 05.

The 05 Mini S with manual drops from

7.0 seconds to about 6.2 but not only

did the manual get the slight power bump

but they got more aggressive gearing too.

Either way, in that small car, I bet it feels faster

than the auto LGT.

I don't think I'd give up the room, the comfort, the AWD

and such though.

Where did you read that the 05 Mini S would hit

60 in 6.8 seconds with an auto?

That would be faster than the 04 Mini S with a manual and

they only gave it what 5 more hp for 05.

The 05 Mini S with manual drops from

7.0 seconds to about 6.2 but not only

did the manual get the slight power bump

but they got more aggressive gearing too.

Either way, in that small car, I bet it feels faster

than the auto LGT.

I don't think I'd give up the room, the comfort, the AWD

and such though.

Someone ran times on the Mini2 forums and clocked it on a few runs are 6.8 seconds. I don't need the extra space, I'm 24 and single. Room for two is more than enough for me.

- Mike

You should just wait I remember reading that they were coming out with a awd version by 2007 that way you won't lose any driveabilty in the winter when you make the switch.

just read that in motor trend. if it comes with a supercharged model, i may have to give it a nod. it's such a fun car to drive. :D

I don't need the extra space, I'm 24 and single. Room for two is more than enough for me.

- Mike

Not trying to rip on you or anything, but it seems from the start, you have been looking at other cars saying i wish i got this or that. I'm still wondering why you got the LGT if there were so many other choices that you were interested in. It seems almost like you settled for the LGT rather than getting the car you really wanted, when they are all really within the same general price range...what gives?

The '07 models will be bigger to accomodate the new EU pedestrian safety rules. Also, the current motors are out - the joint Chrysler/BMW thing in Brazil isn't working out.

The '05 cars have more power than the '04's, the manual cars have shorter gearing for better acceleration - I suspect the auto does as well. January production offered an LSD as a $500 option - I would have liked to have known about that since we could have waited a month. Oh well....it's not a track car.....DD for my fiance. ;)

Is the MCS auto a CVT? If so, drive before you buy.......I didn't like the CVT on the base MC.

Here are two pics of ours - '05 MCS-C with sport pkg, NAV, and cold-weather pkg ($32K out the door :eek: ). So far, stock except for wheels (with the LGT's RE92a's - they work fine) and a Dinan airbox. Selling the stock run-flats this weekend and putting some ASA AR1's with 'real' rubber.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5521

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5520

No way i would pay 32k for a Mini, every option you could want or not. Neat cars, but that price is ridiculous.

Nobody said my fiance was rational about the decision. Remember - it's an 'S' convertible - they start in the high 20's. What other convertible can you buy for under $35K that's as fun to drive? We had an S2000 - insurance was nuts, no back seats....suddenly, the car makes sense (not to me, but she is the one paying for it - I just buy the fun stuff for it :D ).

Is the MCS auto a CVT? If so, drive before you buy.......I didn't like the CVT on the base MC.

Here are two pics of ours - '05 MCS-C with sport pkg, NAV, and cold-weather pkg ($32K out the door :eek: ). So far, stock except for wheels (with the LGT's RE92a's - they work fine) and a Dinan airbox. Selling the stock run-flats this weekend and putting some ASA AR1's with 'real' rubber.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5521

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5520

First off - awesome rides.

The '05 MCS auto is not a CVT, but a 6-sp auto gearbox, which has three modes like ours do - Drive, Sport, and Manual. It also has paddle shifters. The time the transmission takes to shift is 250ms. Owners are saying the transmission shifts very fast and smooth unlike the CVT. The transmission was programmed to behave and feel like the 6-sp manual MCS.

- Mike

Thanks! :D

I must say.....had the dealer offered info on the MCS with auto, my fiance would have gone that way. After two knee surgeries and a stiff WRX clutch, she was ready for a slushbox....she went in to buy the std. MC with CVT.

I priced out a bare-bones, 6sp-M MCS w/LSD for me as a daily driver - about $23K. Very tempting. Very good safety tests, fuel economy, and in the top-ten of all cars for resale value (which is good and bad - I wanted a used one, but there is no point given how close the new ones are in price).

Thanks! :D

I must say.....had the dealer offered info on the MCS with auto, my fiance would have gone that way. After two knee surgeries and a stiff WRX clutch, she was ready for a slushbox....she went in to buy the std. MC with CVT.

I priced out a bare-bones, 6sp-M MCS w/LSD for me as a daily driver - about $23K. Very tempting. Very good safety tests, fuel economy, and in the top-ten of all cars for resale value (which is good and bad - I wanted a used one, but there is no point given how close the new ones are in price).

I've also noticed that the used ones sell for about the same price as the new ones.

As much as I'd like to jump for it, if the I am going to take a big hit with the "smart lease" I'm currently in, then I might as well just stick to the Legacy and clear out any thoughts of another car until 08/2008.

- Mike

I think they look great on the outside and the engine is more than enough for that weight, but the interior is all plastic ugly. It's like the little plastic houses that kids play in.

Seriously, this car is overpriced (as all BMWs are). The worst part is that the dealerships consist solely of jerks who offer no help or reason to purchase the car.

The interior is very 'busy'. It is a bit of sensory overload when I swap cars for the day. I would consider the MINI 'overpriced' only if you are measuring by the cost/size ratio. You won't find a better equipped/built car in the category.

Well, Like patagonian, I also have a MINI. It is the most fun I have had in a street legal car. Granted, I have dumped a ton of modifications into mine, but still, way fun. Mine is not an S, but it does pretty well with all the mods, and handles better than an S, but to the untrained driver, they would not be able to tell the difference in handling.

I say, just buy one, and have both, I do, Patagonian does, join the club!!!

Archived