LegacyGT.com

1990 With a unbelievable loud noise

Header cracked?

Or possibly some part of the exhaust system after the header is rotted. It happens.

Solution? Find some used headers, and have a shop fab up a whole new exhaust system from the cat to the muffler.

Exhaust. Get under the car and see if you can find where the leak is. Carefully hover your hand above the exhaust pipes and feel for any warm air. DO NOT TOUCH THE PIPE. Having a buddy plug the tail pipe with a rag will make it easier to detect where the leak is coming from. Chances are one of the exhaust pipes has cracked, usually somewhere in the vicinity of a weld.

These cars go through exhaust piping like fat kids go through cake. Part of the reason is because they don't have flex pipes to allow for movement of the engine in every direction. Instead the exhaust pipe is flanged with a matching coupler and a spring loaded clamp that is supposed to allow the pipe to move without stressing other pipes. This system sucks, and can cause old rusty pipes to just break right off.

Ill agree, they always rot out at the joints. Every old subaru i have owned rots at the midpipe muffler connection.

Many 1st gens headers crack too, so replacing it all will ensure you wont be under there again for a while.

Yeah... Wow. If that happened to me I'd be complaining about a dramatic loss of power and some nasty vibrations rather than a dreadful noise. If it happens again you have a (Semi) big problem. It is possible to retap the spark plug threads in a cylinder head with moderate success, but it's pretty much like putting a Band-Aid on a cut that requires stitches.

Archived