LegacyGT.com

In-between washes

Aragahahhaahhahahha!!! The CCD is sent from the Devil himself. :lol: Actually, that isn't really true. I messed up my paint really bad with one because I was a moron and thought it was a mop and not a duster. If you drag it all over your car then it will swirl the paint. However, if you lightly let the threads do the work and don't rest the whole duster on the paint, then it can actually safely clean up dust. I lit mine up like a torch when I saw what it was doing and I have been dead set against using one again ever since. I do know people who swear by them, but they are probably not nearly as anal as I am about their paint.

Seeing dust on your car is the curse that having a black or dark color car forces you to deal with. It is easier to get used to the fact that your car will get dusty between washes rather than be out in the parking lot on your breaks dusting off the car. A car cover is a great way to limit the dust you accumulate. Not some cheap $30 PepBoy's cover either. A good cover that protects the car from the elements and is going to last for years will cost you probably close to $150 or $200. Those covers also sometimes have padding around the door areas to help reduce door ding damage. I love my car cover for when I have to leave the car at the airport for a week or something like that. Much better than coming back to a car covered in bird $h!t and waterspots.

A quick detailer is a good way to keep up the car between washes. I QD my car on occasion with a few different products depending on what product I am using for a sealant or wax at the time. Its a great way to sort of revive the look of the car when its not really in need of a wash but could use a little attention. I always have a microfiber and a bottle of QD in the car for those cases when you come out to your car and see the lovely present a bird left for you on the hood. Bird $h!t is acidic and will burn your paint up if you don't get it off quick. Its not necessary to wash the car because of that, but a good QD can really do a good job between washes. I know people who QD the whole car instead of washing when its just dusty. There are several products out there that are a little stronger than spray waxes and are perfect for 'in between wash' treatments. Poorboy's makes a great Spray and Wipe product that I like to use for that kind of thing.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I do most of my shopping online, so when it comes to QD I usually buy Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer by the gallon. I use it on my wheels after I dress the tires as well as to clean up bird bombs and water drips after I wash the car. Its a great QD that really adds a little sparkle to the paint. The best part is that it doesn't contain any wax, so if you are in the process of layering sealants you don't have to worry about it creating bonding issues.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I used to use dusters but did find that they sometimes left very light marks no matter how careful one was.

Now, I just leave dust be (that's why I switched from black to silver) and use QD for high priority items like bird-doo, bugs and other hard to remove items.

Ken

Understand what the CCD is, and how it works.

It is paraffin impregnated soft fiber. It IS NOT intended to wipe DIRT from a car; it is intended to make DUST and light haze jump up into the fibers through static charge.

Rules for the CCD:

1) before you use it, take it out of the sheath and lay it on a sheet of newspaper for a couple days, to let the paraffin dry and the solvents evaporate.

2) when using it, don't wipe the car with it; rather, support the weight of the brush with your hand and allow the fibers to touch the surface. Drag the fibers over the paint that way.

I've been slowly giving away my excess detailing products. First one to PM me an address will get a free bottle or can of something. Send a car color for a better match of product to need.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

303 makes some good dash protectant. Really the product doesn't matter. Using one is all you need to do. No matter what you use there will still be dust that accumulates. One way to keep on top of that is just to get a Swiffer towel and wipe down the dash every now and then. There is also a duster for the dash just like the California Car Duster. I've got one of those hanging on the wall next to where I park my car. You don't need to grease down the dash to keep it clean. Just dust it every now and then and treat it once every 5 or 6 weeks. That should be all the care your dash requires unless someone opens a soda and it sprays all over it or something.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I can tell you are a true detailer. :lol: Only a true detailer cares about the smell. The first thing I do when I get a product is sniff it to see if its something I want to work with. Some products smell great (NXT dash protectant) but don't work so well. Other products smell horrible (Lexol leather care) but work great. Its hard to find the happy medium....

OCDETAILS BLOG

Sometimes you can find 303 at auto part stores. I haven't seen any locally for quite awhile. I usually just order it online when I need it. QEW is another one of those products you have to order online.

Lots of good online stores. I know Dwayne at www.premiumautocare.com is going to contact Tide for vendor status, so you might want to wait for that. ;) I would guess that discounts would shortly follow.

OCDETAILS BLOG

My between wash program is the Griot's Quik Detailer, with some of their scratch-free cotton cloths. Very nice and indeed, scratch-free. And yes, it passes the smell test. :lol:

Kevin

I used those dry swiffer anti static towel things on my car.. man those rule. They don't scratch the surface, and it sucks the dust up. I also have a CCD, and it does a pretty good job.

Archived