LegacyGT.com

New to Me 98 GT wagon has coolant leak

Hi all, noob to the board. This is a great resource!

I just purchased a 98 Legacy GT wagon with 68,000 on it. Car is in great shape and I looked it over for a couple of days before I bought it and everything was really dry. Good power and didnt overheat or smoke at all. I have had it sitting at home a couple of days now it has a coolant leak.

The leak is coming from the front of the engine, but the radiator is dry. There is a bit on the front of the oil pan and some on the timing belt cover as well. There is a bit of coolant on the ground on the passenger side as well.

Car passed emissions without any troubles on the 24th. Is this the water pump gasket/pump or something more serious? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks all

Yes its the 2.5. Did a pressure test and it didnt leak from anywhere we could see. Again, I dont think its the head gasket as it doesnt have any of the telltale signs. No white smoke or smell, good power, passed emissions on the 24th....

It seems to be the upper radiator hose but ONLY when its cold??? The hose is an autozone hose and I am thinking about getting the subaru hose..? Any ideas why it would leak when cold but when warm, we can put 30 PSI on the system and it stays dry?

Thanks again!!

Yes its the 2.5. Did a pressure test and it didnt leak from anywhere we could see. Again, I dont think its the head gasket as it doesnt have any of the telltale signs. No white smoke or smell, good power, passed emissions on the 24th....

It seems to be the upper radiator hose but ONLY when its cold??? The hose is an autozone hose and I am thinking about getting the subaru hose..? Any ideas why it would leak when cold but when warm, we can put 30 PSI on the system and it stays dry?

Thanks again!!

A good reason why it leaks when its cold and doesnt when its warm is that, when a hose has a crack in it and its cold, its hard and more rigid, but when the hose is warm, it becomes soft and thats when your leak starts happening.

To me a hose is a hose, you can go back to autozone or subaru to get a new one.

hope that helps

Thanks for the input guys, yea looks like its the upper radiator hose. Its a new one, but the guy who put it on, pushed it on a bit far and it was leaking on the underside. Gonna try and move it see if that helps.

Thanks again, great forum and I hope to be able to help too!

Archived