LegacyGT.com

No Navigation for the '05 model and no word on the '06 yet

I emailed Subaru about the navigation system and this is what I asked: "Will navigation be an option on the 2005 Legacy GT Limited. If not, will that option be introduced later on, and if so, would it be possible to have that option retro-fitted on a 2005 model later on?" --------------------------------------------------------- This is the response I got: ----------------------------- "Dear Mr. D'Eredita: Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. The 2005 Legacy models are not available with a Navigation System. While I am aware that we are currently reviewing options for Navigation Systems, I do not know when or if it will be available in future models. But, the hope is to have it available in the near future. However, it will not be available later this model year, as we generally do not add features, especially such in-depth features, in the middle of a model year. As this feature is not yet available, I would be doing a disservice to state one way or the other as to a retrofit kit for current and past models. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us. Best wishes, John J. Mergen Subaru of America, Inc." ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well I guess later on maybe. Hopefully it'll be able to be retro-fitted. - Mike

Your not married, are you? :lol: :lol: :lol: [quote name='outahere']Whats wrong with using a paper map? I don't understand why a nav system is such a "must have" for so many people.[/quote]

[url]http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/subaru/legacy/100396955/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=101838[/url] [quote]Dual-zone automatic climate control is available this year, but Subaru has no plans to offer a high-power audio system on par with the competition in this price range. The top-line Outback gets a seven-speaker system with a subwoofer and MP3 compatibility, but other Outbacks and Legacys make do with a mundane six-speaker setup. [b]We were told, however, that a navigation system will be available starting in the 2006 model year.[/b][/quote]

This Space For Rent

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Bah, who needs it! Buncha women drivers! :P[/quote] I drive roughly 3000 miles a month in the Portland metropolitan area, and I'm tired of Thomas Guides, having to spend time searching and printing mapquests, and paper maps. Navigation is not just a toy, but a true tool. When applied properly, it can lend to more efficient routes, and can provide quick workaraounds when traffic is at a standstill. Your generally immature and ignorant tone on this board is getting a little grating, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know this is only my second post, but I have lurked around here for a while and have found this site to be a great resource for quality information. It's posts like this, and several others of yours that reduce the overall quality of any forum.

[quote name='Tide']Your not married, are you? :lol: :lol: :lol: [quote name='outahere']Whats wrong with using a paper map? I don't understand why a nav system is such a "must have" for so many people.[/quote][/quote] I can't speak for all women, but my wife is horrible with directions. She has a degree but can't look at a map and tell which way is North. I love the Nav in my CL, but it was an expensive option. It has helped numerious times in the past getting out of cities and finding the interstate.

[quote name='easton'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Bah, who needs it! Buncha women drivers! :P[/quote] Your generally immature and ignorant tone on this board is getting a little grating, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know this is only my second post, but I have lurked around here for a while and have found this site to be a great resource for quality information. It's posts like this, and several others of yours that reduce the overall quality of any forum.[/quote] Whoa, somebody who's a bigger prig than I am?? How did that happen? Welcome Easton, and I concur. The hope is that by the majority of the members setting the proper tone, we won't become like other boards. The i-Club, for example, is horrifying. On the nav front, my only experience with nav wasn't really worth noting. I rented a car in New Orleans with the Hertz NeverLost system, to take me from the airport to my hotel in the French Quarter. First of all, it kept taking me to the wrong hotel, the Royal Bourbon instead of the Saint Louis (I should have listened to the NeverLost, but that's another story). Then, when it said "Calculating route...calculating route...make the first legal u-turn," which is nav for "We lost," I returned to the airport and took cabs everywhere. Nav would be nice, but generally when I need it (my wife and I get lost a lot on vacations, as we are both terrible with directions), I'm not in my car. I can see its value as an amenity. Kevin

[quote name='easton'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Bah, who needs it! Buncha women drivers! :P[/quote] I drive roughly 3000 miles a month in the Portland metropolitan area, and I'm tired of Thomas Guides, having to spend time searching and printing mapquests, and paper maps. Navigation is not just a toy, but a true tool. When applied properly, it can lend to more efficient routes, and can provide quick workaraounds when traffic is at a standstill. Your generally immature and ignorant tone on this board is getting a little grating, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know this is only my second post, but I have lurked around here for a while and have found this site to be a great resource for quality information. It's posts like this, and several others of yours that reduce the overall quality of any forum.[/quote] I complete agree with you. I also take a lot of trips on the weekends, especially with my job where I have 3 day weekends the entire summer. I can't tell you the amount of times I've gone online and printed out directions and they leave out sections or take you out of the way leaving you lost and miles away from where you should be. Being that I take weekend trips at least twice a month - this would be a very useful tool for me. -Mike

[quote name='easton'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Bah, who needs it! Buncha women drivers! :P[/quote] I drive roughly 3000 miles a month in the Portland metropolitan area, and I'm tired of Thomas Guides, having to spend time searching and printing mapquests, and paper maps. Navigation is not just a toy, but a true tool. When applied properly, it can lend to more efficient routes, and can provide quick workaraounds when traffic is at a standstill. Your generally immature and ignorant tone on this board is getting a little grating, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know this is only my second post, but I have lurked around here for a while and have found this site to be a great resource for quality information. It's posts like this, and several others of yours that reduce the overall quality of any forum.[/quote] Yes I'm really sure I'm degrading the overall quality of the forum. :roll: Don't you think if this were true, I'd of been banned a long time ago? Whilst some of my posts poke fun at things and aren't always of a "serious" tone, I'd say I've contributed more than just playful comments. Of course, you are too biased to even consider this, since you obviously question the "quality" of my contributions. If so many people agree with your statements, then why haven't they spoken up? Perhaps you should create a poll and let the members decide whether I should be able to stay or not. Now my ever-so-serious tone not only immature, but it also ignorant? Wow, that's a new one. I know I'm immature at times, but now I'm ignorant too? I guess my poking fun at people whining about the no NAV option (for 2005) is very immature and ignorant right? Lighten up man. It's the freaking intArw3b. Maybe in the future you should consider more lurking and less posting.

If there is a navigation screen in the JDM legacy as there is in the JDM imprezas, then we will be able to supply it if someone can email me us a link with product information. Usually, the only step required is for someone to identify the positive, negative, and accessory options. The Impreza one comes with an RCA input I believe, but I am still checking.

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']If there is a navigation screen in the JDM legacy as there is in the JDM imprezas, then we will be able to supply it if someone can email me us a link with product information. Usually, the only step required is for someone to identify the positive, negative, and accessory options. The Impreza one comes with an RCA input I believe, but I am still checking.[/quote] Here is a link to the catalog - which has some navigation units in it for the '05 Legacy - but since it is in japanese - I can't read anything. It has lots of pics in it: [url]http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/index1.html[/url] Let us know what your thinking of and what you think you can do. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike'][quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']If there is a navigation screen in the JDM legacy as there is in the JDM imprezas, then we will be able to supply it if someone can email me us a link with product information. Usually, the only step required is for someone to identify the positive, negative, and accessory options. The Impreza one comes with an RCA input I believe, but I am still checking.[/quote] Here is a link to the catalog - which has some navigation units in it for the '05 Legacy - but since it is in japanese - I can't read anything. It has lots of pics in it: [url]http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/index1.html[/url] Let us know what your thinking of and what you think you can do. - Mike[/quote] Oh no, not again! I was staring at those for hours yesterday!! :lol:

This Space For Rent

I will have some prices soon. This stuff is not cheap. The first person to order one will be a guinea pig. There are no guarantees that these will plug and play with the Legacy. If it is like the Impreza screen, someone with an electronics background will have to figure out the positive and ground leads. I imagine that it comes with RCAs, but this cannot be confirmed until someone orders one. I may even subsidize that transaction a little to incentivize someone to be the first to order it and install it. Obviously, once that is confirmed then everybody will want one. :)

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']I will have some prices soon. This stuff is not cheap. The first person to order one will be a guinea pig. There are no guarantees that these will plug and play with the Legacy. If it is like the Impreza screen, someone with an electronics background will have to figure out the positive and ground leads. I imagine that it comes with RCAs, but this cannot be confirmed until someone orders one. I may even subsidize that transaction a little to incentivize someone to be the first to order it and install it. Obviously, once that is confirmed then everybody will want one. :)[/quote] Since the navi is a JDM product, how will the navi do US maps? Also is there a way to connect it to the car's computer and get read outs on things like rpms, boost, maybe have a service reminder in it, etc etc. Maybe allow it to play DVD's, a good thing for when you kindly give someone a ride somewhere and they tell you they'll "be right out" and 30 minutes later your still sitting there waiting for them (lol). - Mike

I would not bring in the actual navigation system because the navigation will not work in the US. However, if the screen and pod should work if it has RCAs and someone can identify the positive and negative leads, which should not be rocket science or brain surgery. The individual who does this should be skilled in electronics. If you were to buy, for example, an Alpine Navigation system, you should be able to view the data through the JDM navigation screen.

I believe that depends on the screen. If the screen is similar to those used with computers, if might or might not work as a TV screen directly. [quote name='Drift Monkey']I guess it's safe to say that the screen itself can be used as a TV screen to watch movied or what not, correct?[/quote]

This Space For Rent

Archived