LegacyGT.com

335D: Merry Xmas to Me!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't mastered it yet, but this implementation of the i-drive (revised in the last couple of years) seems improved over previous versions that I have played with. Much of my life is organized inside my blackberry, and the integration between car and phone is especially well done.

Incidentally, on the 3 series you had to get nav to get i-drive. But on the A4, you got their version of i-drive even without nav (and you still get a big giant lcd screen). Advantage: Audi.

Just for giggles, what new car for $46k + ttl (diesel credit subtracted) should I have bought that combines performance, comfort, electronics integration, fuel economy, and high residual value?

I haven't mastered it yet, but this implementation of the i-drive (revised in the last couple of years) seems improved over previous versions that I have played with. Much of my life is organized inside my blackberry, and the integration between car and phone is especially well done.

Incidentally, on the 3 series you had to get nav to get i-drive. But on the A4, you got their version of i-drive even without nav (and you still get a big giant lcd screen). Advantage: Audi.

Just for giggles, what new car for $46k + ttl (diesel credit subtracted) should I have bought that combines performance, comfort, electronics integration, fuel economy, and high residual value?

I hear ya on the integration, but when I was playing with it for 15min I was thinking to myself, radio buttons would be nice. :lol:

Yeah, with BMW you have to get Nav to get i-Drive, which sucks for some, but not really for me cause I didn't need either.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Slick car. Don't listen to the haters. If fuel economy is a huge priority (obviously it was or you would have gotten a Genesis) then you are pretty much stuck with that which isn't a bad thing. For more money theirs the GS Hybrid but meh, its gas mileage isn't that great. Could have got the new HS Lexus hybrid, would have been cheaper and more prius like but it has awesome gadgets and awesome gas mileage (not sporty though).

Overall it appears you made the right choice for you... I would rather have had a new S4 :) But then your gas mileage goes to crap!

it's not a bad car at all. I like BMWs, but I would expect a lot more for $50k

You can thank your idiot Senators and Representatives along with our idiot President (the old guy and the new one) for spending money like drunk sailors on shore leave for that. The US Dollar, Euro exchange rate is very unfavorable right now, and despite the best efforts of Euro car makers to reduce the increase in price to US customers there still has to be a price increase and lately it has been really noticeable.

you could have bought a fully loaded car (your chouice) 2-3 years old with low miles for 40%-50% of the MSRP price. BMWs depreciate like a stone.

According to industry studies on retained value BMW's are very near the top. Almost all mass produced autos depreciate quite a bit, for example a 2005 Subaru LGT is basically worthless once driven off the lot.:lol:

LGT is actually a rare car in most places and to an enthusiast is worth more than some fancy BMW (which everyone has including their grandma and relatives from Brazil) and which requires expensive maintenance and actually has terrible interior, ugly, etc. There is a reason why there is a notion that BMWs are driven by 'cocks' and the dealers suck balls.

LGT is actually a rare car in most places and to an enthusiast is worth more than some fancy BMW (which everyone has including their grandma and relatives from Brazil) and which requires expensive maintenance and actually has terrible interior, ugly, etc. There is a reason why there is a notion that BMWs are driven by 'cocks' and the dealers suck balls.

Well as someone who made a living in the car business, I can tell you from hard experience that rarity doesn't equal value or retained value in the real world of average consumers. When a car is both inexpensive and rare that tells me that there is low demand for said car, and pricing will usually reflect that for both new and used examples. I wish it were not that way, but it is what it is.

As for your subjective opinions of the interior, well we disagree and we're both right in our view of things. Since we have choices in what we can buy that's no problem. I like BMW interiors, you do not.

In regards to BMW dealers, I take some offense to that since I was a BMW dealer and I always tried to be respectful and polite. Then again I have heard the horror stories of uppity dealers in California not only from you, but from customers I had that moved from there. They always seemed shocked at how easy going all the car dealers and service dept's were in the Mid West. :lol:

The maintenance items on most of the cars especially the 3 series are really not that bad. Although sometimes the shop labor rate at a dealer can be really obnoxious.

Keeps us up to date on performance and efficiency.

Slick car. Don't listen to the haters. If fuel economy is a huge priority (obviously it was or you would have gotten a Genesis) then you are pretty much stuck with that which isn't a bad thing. For more money theirs the GS Hybrid but meh, its gas mileage isn't that great. Could have got the new HS Lexus hybrid, would have been cheaper and more prius like but it has awesome gadgets and awesome gas mileage (not sporty though).

Overall it appears you made the right choice for you... I would rather have had a new S4 :) But then your gas mileage goes to crap!

Lexus really dropped the ball utilizing the ailing 2.4L I4 in their first 4 cylinder Lex in the U.S. Wouldn't buy it til it has the 2.5L and becomes an HS300 (well probably).

Anywho, I'd take an S4. The gas mileage is pretty good. 8 MPG (Hwy) better than the outgoing 4.2L. The Quattro A4 gets 30 MPG Hwy and is probably as fast as the 335. So a 6 MPG difference. Interesting.

Anywho, I'd take an S4. The gas mileage is pretty good. 8 MPG (Hwy) better than the outgoing 4.2L. The Quattro A4 gets 30 MPG Hwy and is probably as fast as the 335. So a 6 MPG difference. Interesting.

According to every test I've read the 335i and 335d both stomp on the regular A4 pretty hard where performance numbers are concerned. The last comparison test in Road and Track pitted the 335d against the A4 3.2, the A4 was not even in the hunt compared to the BMW diesel.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2009_audi_a4_3.2_quattro_vs_2009_bmw_335d

More power and more efficient, for the same money after all the incentives and credits. Brilliant!

I have my first trip up to LA on Monday. As much as I've enjoyed being on vacation this past week, I'm secretly looking forward to it. I may just start the day a little early to ensure a more pleasant experience.

Guest heightsgtltd

Congrats Mungo. I really like this one, ignore the douches ;)

It's def. pricey, but if you can swing it, more power to you :)

Mungo, congrats on the new car

i'm really considering the 335d myself. i agree with you on the details and the interior design, my co-worker has the petrol 335i and i've had the chance to ride in it several times now, really makes the legacy interior feel spartan.

and honestly, 51k isn't that bad, because you're right, for the performance and fuel economy, there really is no other car that fits the bill. though secretly i'm hoping that mercedes will bring a diesel c-class to the US in the near future, i think i'd really look into that if they did.

Archived