LegacyGT.com

335D: Merry Xmas to Me!

Pics to follow, but I just picked up a 2010 BMW 335d. It is a mighty nice ride. The entire experience must be downhill from here, but I'm high as a kite right now.

It is Titanium Silver with premium, sport, nav, sat radio, heated seats and the folding seats. Interior is black with aluminum trim.

I have started driving for business twice a week to LA from SD and the commute has been painful in my GT. I needed something that was comfortable yet sporty, with real good electronic integration. It was more than I perhaps should have spent, but that is partially offset by the govt tax credits and the high mpg (once broken in the hway mileage can approach 40). Plus the maintenance is covered for 4/50, which most manufacturers do not include. I considered a regular A4, diesel A3, Jetta TDI, and oddly enough a Hyundai Genesis.

We sold our VW, which turns the GT wagon over to my wife who doesn't go very far. I do need to tone it down a little for her. I started by going back to the Cobb St 2 map instead of the TDC ones from Jon. The throttle is a little less sensitive. More to do, and more to say, but I must go.

I'll post other impressions later.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice choice of car, I was considering one of these as well and you'll get way better mileage than the Genesis, esp for highway commutes. The only thing that held me back was the much smaller interior space and BMW's annoying way of making every feature a la carte pricing. The Hyundai's all-inclusive options package was too hard to pass up.

Car has a lot of break-in left, but even below 3500 rpms there is considerable power.

Every car that I've had has always had considerable compromises. For me the GT wagon has been great on performance and utility (hatch), but short on gadgetry and overall refinement. I like everything about the 335d (ride, handling, braking, power, gadgetry, looks...) except the price and the size. Maybe I've never had a really nice car before but everything appears to be thought out -- the interior lighting, the sounds that every button or handle makes.

The only oversight is that (compared to the regular 335) they appeared to have removed the engine/oil temp gauge and replaced with it a mpg meter. That makes no sense whatsoever...

Also, from what I've read, the run flat tires may not hold up so well. I'm likely to sacrifice some trunk room and switch to something else with a full sized spare (I travel relatively light, and alone, so for me this isn't a big deal).

There is no question that if I needed a car purely for local driving (people hauling instead of long distance commuting) I'd have a Genesis in my garage right.

I wish BMW would send us poor diesel-deprived Americans a 335d wagon w/ a 6MT. :wub:

BMW doesn't have a 6MT that will handle the torque output of that motor and still fit in the tranmission tunnel of the 3 series, so no 6MT for you or anyone else.:lol:

BMW doesn't have a 6MT that will handle the torque output of that motor and still fit in the tranmission tunnel of the 3 series, so no 6MT for you or anyone else.:lol:

Really, what about the m3 tranny? Ik the m3 doesnt make that kidna trq but i have seen e46 m3 trannys hold that much

Still relatively fresh from the dealership. Haven't yet removed the window stickers. Mats are at the parts dept (fortunately I knew to insist they throw them in as part of the purchase). Needs a tint and some paint sealant. But I did get around to programming some of the memory functions, programmed Homelink, paired my blackberry (this integrates extremely well), and activated the satellite radio.

IMG_2173.jpg.7a0e9ea05431bab5d5c6d8198029039e.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg.14e5561cc724d80f7ca1862922d187d3.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg.2d24b94bbc7ee4ba72a673d333fee937.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg.058b7c943110e61781bc5d8097bb3fb9.jpg

IMG_2177.thumb.jpg.4cff361386f894b5154f83637ac1d4c7.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg.77e73d8f4b42ed31a9eacc88f236aa30.jpg

IMG_2179.thumb.jpg.926c80578b37001c24ae6208a3739344.jpg

IMG_2180.thumb.jpg.1f33ebd82b4d3227216b071e7014da32.jpg

Really, what about the m3 tranny? Ik the m3 doesnt make that kidna trq but i have seen e46 m3 trannys hold that much

I can't comment directly on the ability to hold that much torque with the M3 tranny. BMW like many other manufacturers probably wants a fairly generous safety margin with their transmission's rated torque capacity for long life. So while the M3's manual might hold 425lb-ft, how long will it do it compared to the desired service life, and will it still have room for more power if the transmission were subjected to a factory modified or enhanced version of the powerplant? It is only a matter of time before the aftermarket comes out with tuning for the 335d (there is already one tuner available in fact that bumps power to around 300hp and torque to a bit over 500lb-ft), or BMW themselves decide to make more power with the engine, so there has to be excess capacity from the transmission to handle the torque.

I can't comment directly on the ability to hold that much torque with the M3 tranny. BMW like many other manufacturers probably wants a fairly generous safety margin with their transmission's rated torque capacity for long life. So while the M3's manual might hold 425lb-ft, how long will it do it compared to the desired service life, and will it still have room for more power if the transmission were subjected to a factory modified or enhanced version of the powerplant? It is only a matter of time before the aftermarket comes out with tuning for the 335d (there is already one tuner available in fact that bumps power to around 300hp and torque to a bit over 500lb-ft), or BMW themselves decide to make more power with the engine, so there has to be excess capacity from the transmission to handle the torque.

YEs i understand, but they have a 6mt tranny that fits and can take some power, now build on that. Im not saying use the m3s tranny. But if i can be built and warrentied to 350trq then why not test it and build it stronger if need be to handle 425trq.

YEs i understand, but they have a 6mt tranny that fits and can take some power, now build on that. Im not saying use the m3s tranny. But if i can be built and warrentied to 350trq then why not test it and build it stronger if need be to handle 425trq.

I don't know why not, I am not an engineer for BMW. My guess is that they may have looked at it, and determined that the money needed to offer such a transmission would not be paid back in actual demand for that product.

I don't know why not, I am not an engineer for BMW. My guess is that they may have looked at it, and determined that the money needed to offer such a transmission would not be paid back in actual demand for that product.

^ this.

the real demand for manual trans cars has declined & will continue to decline as americans get exponentially fatter & lazier.

$46.6 plus TTL ($3k below invoice) on invoice of $53.6. CA taxes are pretty brutal so OTD it was about $51.5 or so. It was not hard to get this price. Because BMW has a $4500 incentive, the dealer was still able to make $1500 on the car. Plus there may be some holdback money and other factors that I don't have insight into.

I expect to get about $2300 back from the govt next month in tax money from this purchase (diesel tax credit + sales tax deduction) which will soften the sting a bit. Without these factors I probably would have leased.

I also considered the regular 335 (available in MT) but it has been plagued by by fuel pump issues and didn't get the special govie tax credit.

^ this.

the real demand for manual trans cars has declined & will continue to decline as americans get exponentially fatter & lazier.

It is not just US consumers that are no longer as interested in the manual, trends in Europe are heading that way too especially with cars that produce plenty of torque. Also automatic transmissions have gotten better and better to the point they are in many cases stronger, smoother, faster, and more efficient than the manual boxes offered in the same cars.

While I have owned just as many vehicles with MT's as AT's, given the quality and control offered by modern AT's or automated MT's I no longer see any need to fiddle about with a clutch pedal. While many of you feel having that extra pedal is very important, I no longer see the need. As long as the transmission allows me to choose the gear I want to be in, I don't really give a rat's ass how exactly it is accomplished.

I also considered the regular 335 (available in MT) but it has been plagued by by fuel pump issues and didn't get the special govie tax credit.

Which is funny since I have not heard of any issues with HPFP's going bad in Europe. Then again the Europeans don't have any fetish about putting large amounts of shitty ethanol in their gasoline. Something tells me that alcohol and HPFP's don't get along real well. :spin:

$46.6 plus TTL ($3k below invoice) on invoice of $53.6. CA taxes are pretty brutal so OTD it was about $51.5 or so. It was not hard to get this price. Because BMW has a $4500 incentive, the dealer was still able to make $1500 on the car. Plus there may be some holdback money and other factors that I don't have insight into.

Great financial planning...this is how I operate. I bet that 425 ft/lbs of Tq is going to feel NICE! Have fun with it.

I expect to get about $2300 back from the govt next month in tax money from this purchase (diesel tax credit + sales tax deduction) which will soften the sting a bit. Without these factors I probably would have leased.

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived