LegacyGT.com

grinding noise. ha there is alot of noise threads

yet another noise thread. mine i believe is the bearing in the front left hub.

what i hear:

while turning left the noise is louder then cant hearing while right. might be the other way around but it is the front left.

confirm its the bearing(s) ?

what i need to buy? are there 2 bearings or one.

I Would like to know as well. Since I'm afraid I will have to replace my right front (I really hope not). 2 Bearings or one is also my question as well. I looked at Auto zone and says "Bearing 2 required" but I can't find Bearing 2 on their site.

hmm well i am guessing it was 3rd gear. (auto) becasue i got to 100 and it had just shifted into 4 i think.(unless the 4EAT has a hidden gear) that gear was so smooth. compared to 1 and 2. 4 is brand new still

hmm well i am guessing it was 3rd gear. (auto) becasue i got to 100 and it had just shifted into 4 i think.(unless the 4EAT has a hidden gear) that gear was so smooth. compared to 1 and 2. 4 is brand new still

Ahh, 4speed auto. Makes sense now. I assumed you had a 5mt.

I used to have a 96 Legacy L and beat on it pretty bad. I remember one time I was playing with a Civic SI (This was like 8 years ago) and I pushed the car as far as it would go. Poor thing got up to like 125mph. It was never quite the same after that. More rattles and lots of TOB noise from then on.

Moral of story...be a little nice to your car, little brother. She loves you.

have you thought about cv joints? could be a bad one; I did my driver's side (plus a wheel bearing while the whole hub was apart, but i knew my problem was definitely the cv) last july. here's the way to do it: get the front end off the ground with the wheels free. grab a buddy and put the car in neutral, then spin each front tire separately listening for the noise. have him/her turn the wheel, apply brakes, whatever is necessary to recreate that grinding. feel the cv joint for any funny movements, and see if the hub has any play in it. try that to absolutely guarantee a diagnosis; my cv joint was popping in and out underneath the boot, and we just got a wheel bearing as reassurance haha. good luck let me know how it turns out

have you thought about cv joints? could be a bad one; I did my driver's side (plus a wheel bearing while the whole hub was apart, but i knew my problem was definitely the cv) last july. here's the way to do it: get the front end off the ground with the wheels free. grab a buddy and put the car in neutral, then spin each front tire separately listening for the noise. have him/her turn the wheel, apply brakes, whatever is necessary to recreate that grinding. feel the cv joint for any funny movements, and see if the hub has any play in it. try that to absolutely guarantee a diagnosis; my cv joint was popping in and out underneath the boot, and we just got a wheel bearing as reassurance haha. good luck let me know how it turns out

Did it creating a knocking like sound or a grinding sound when it was popping out?

it made a thumping...like a clunk. once a revolution. very noticeable when turned left, sort of noticeable when turning right. but I have heard that there can be grinding, popping, or knocking sounds associated with bad cv joints. make sure to check both the joint AND the wheel bearing, or just do both while everything's apart

no no. i replaced the shaft on the right. and the one on the left i think is the new one that was replaced 2 years ago.

our legacys are known to chew through cv joints too; apparently mine were done three years ago (before I bought the car in june this year), and my driver's side was gone

Archived