LegacyGT.com

97 LGT Power Steering Capacity And Fluid

gathermewool

I'll be replacing my power steering pump within the next few days. The Haynes manual states to use Dex II/IIE. Dex III is what has been recommended, but Dex III has not been regulated since 2006, a year after it was superseded by Dex VI.

If I can't figure it out I'll just use a Dex III compatible fluid. How much, though, I don't know, and can't find. Any help would be great!

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Dexron IV is compatible with all Dexron fluids, including Dexron II, IIE, and III. Fill it up, bleed the system, then top it off. You shouldn't need the capacity since it's kinda hard to overfill a power steering system, and even if you do you just have to take some out of the reservoir to get it within spec. Nothing bad can happen by overfilling it.

The following is a step by step instruction for bleeding the power steering system, copied and pasted from the AutoZone repair guide for this vehicle...

1. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir about half way with the specified fluid.
  2. Turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock until bubbles stop appearing on oil surface while keeping the fluid at that level.
  3. If turning the steering wheel in low fluid level condition, air will be sucked in pipe. In this case, leave it about half an hour and then repeat the previous step.
  4. Lift up the vehicle, start the engine and let it idle.
  5. Continue to turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock again until bubbles stop appearing on oil surface while keeping the fluid at that level. It is normal that bubbles stop appearing after three times turning of steering wheel from lock to lock.
  6. In case the bubbles do not stop appearing in the tank, leave it about half an hour and then begin the process again.
  7. Lower the vehicle, and then idle the engine.
  8. Continue to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock until bubbles stop appearing and change of the fluid level is within 3 mm (0.12 in).
  9. In case the following happens, leave it about half an hour and then do step 5-8 again.

1. The fluid level changes over 3 mm (0.12 in).
    2. Bubbles remain on the upper surface of the fluid.
    3. Grinding noise is generated from oil pump.

[*] Check the fluid leakage after turning steering wheel from lock to lock with engine running.

Its a really bad writeup, and it sounds like it was written by a foreigner who is unfamiliar with the English language, but hopefully you get the point. :)

Just did the job, but didn't have time to do a full flush. Half a quart was used to fill the reservoir and the bit needed for the pump and tubing. Problem solved : )

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Archived