LegacyGT.com

Window tint

dubunderpar

Living in CNY I have heard that the tint law here is rediculous, something like 75% max. However I have seen a ton of people with way darker than that, but I want to know where they are getting their inspection from. I don't want to have to pay 200$ a year to remove and redo my tint just to pass inspection. What are my fellow NYs doing about this?

Got mine inspected at the dealer, twice, they never said a thing. I'm 35% all around. Got pulled over for speeding. Officer didn't say a thing. It's just not something they are looking to nail people on. Sure, it's illegal and they CAN pinch you for it, but they generally just don't bother. Look around, cars everywhere have tinted windows. You gotta get nailed a few times before they would ever make you peel it anyway.

Go to a place that doesnt care about tints. Ask first if its going to be a problem before you even hand over the keys. Over here, nobody gives a rats ass. With the police, I went to school in Buffalo and the cops there WILL stop you for tints (Amherst cops have nothing to do). Here nobody cares so I do think it will also depends on where you live.

I have 15% on my LGT and got pulled over by a UCONN COP and he gave me a ticket for my tints. I was like are you kidding me, getting a tint ticket from a college cop. He then tried to tell me you cant have your back passenger windows tinted at all. Which im pretty sure you dont even need to have windows in the back passengers.

If you dont want to get bothered, put 35% on your front windows and do whatever you want on the rest. Unless you're doing something else wrong, you're not going to get pulled over for it. I've got 20% on all my rears and 35% on my front. You dont really notice too much of a difference when looking at the vehicle from the side either

I have 20% all around and havent gotten stopped. And i had 15% fronts and <5% on the back on my old car and never got hasseled or failed inspection. Like an earlier poster said ask if your tints will cause you to fail inspection before passing the keys off.

Go to a place that doesnt care about tints. Ask first if its going to be a problem before you even hand over the keys. Over here, nobody gives a rats ass. With the police, I went to school in Buffalo and the cops there WILL stop you for tints (Amherst cops have nothing to do). Here nobody cares so I do think it will also depends on where you live.

So true my buddy went to school in Buffalo and het got like 3 or 4 tickets for his 5% tints and has never gotten even stopped for them here on LI

I have 35% all around and got pulled over for my tints in MY OWN TOWN-a small village in NY. Cops are doing everything to rake in money these days. He didn't give me a ticket. Said I should drive with front windows down when in town. SURE!!

Watch out for Palisades Parkway as I hear rumors there is one cop that pulls people over just for tints.

One of my family member got a $55 ticket for front side window tint on a normal BMW 3 Series.

Cop came next to her and went behind her car and pulled over.

Lame but it happens.

• 9 months later...
Don't mean to bump an old thread but I got pulled over on the taconic yesterday purely for my tint. I know the taconic is notorious for speed traps so I had my cruise set at 57. I was heading down to LI for a wedding with my wife and driving like a saint. I have 30 on my fronts. I've had tinted Windows on my cars for 8 years and never had this happen. What a prick. Got a ticket for it and now I have to figure out where to go to get it inspected to show I removed it so I can have the ticket dismissed.

Don't mean to bump an old thread but I got pulled over on the taconic yesterday purely for my tint. I know the taconic is notorious for speed traps so I had my cruise set at 57. I was heading down to LI for a wedding with my wife and driving like a saint. I have 30 on my fronts. I've had tinted Windows on my cars for 8 years and never had this happen. What a prick. Got a ticket for it and now I have to figure out where to go to get it inspected to show I removed it so I can have the ticket dismissed.

End of month and cop needed tickets. I'd make a reference to the cop but my gf's brother is a trooper around the Taconic.

There are several gas stations/garages that do NY State "Inspections" in Manhattan. Every time I've had a vehicle inspected at this place on like 99th and Lexington Ave (IIRC), the guy kinda looks at me, smiles a little, and hits enter for every thing on the computer. I've never spent more than 5 minutes getting a car "inspected" there.

I don't really remember, but I think the guy didn't really speak much English, so I don't know if you'd be able to explain the whole tint situation to him.

or as I have discovered, ask your friend who is a cop to fill out the form stating he inspected it and that it was removed.

and I'm pretty sure in New York after the typical "surcharge", this fine would be between $130-$150 whereas replacing 2 windows of tint < $100

• 2 weeks later...
I have 22 up front and 13 in back on my LHS, lived in NY for over 5 years now and never got a ticket or had a problem. I've been pulled over for speeding or when they check inspection/registration stops and they'll always tell me my tint is illegal but never gotten a ticket. Personally, I think I'd just pay the ticket and be done with it. On a side note, I'm seriously considering getting a Legacy and will tint it's windows if/when I get one. I'm not sure I'd go as dark as my current tint, but whatever I get I'm sure it won't be legal in NYS.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived