LegacyGT.com

Clutch is straight borked

05subiegt

I took my car to an open parking lot to do some donuts in the snow last night. I drifted around for 15-20 minutes and i noticed the clutch was becoming less "heavy". By the time i stopped the clutch had no response whatsoever and would stay pushed if I let my foot off of it. As well as i was trying to move the car i slowly pulled the clutch out with my hand while giving some gas and i eventually pulled it all the way out without it engaging at all. The car can't move. (05 legacy GT). could someone let me know the severity of my problem? it could either be a simple problem with the master cylinder or i need to replace the whole clutch unit

I took my car to an open parking lot to do some donuts in the snow last night. I drifted around for 15-20 minutes and i noticed the clutch was becoming less "heavy". By the time i stopped the clutch had no response whatsoever and would stay pushed if I let my foot off of it. As well as i was trying to move the car i slowly pulled the clutch out with my hand while giving some gas and i eventually pulled it all the way out without it engaging at all. The car can't move. (05 legacy GT). could someone let me know the severity of my problem? it could either be a simple problem with the master cylinder or i need to replace the whole clutch unit

Did you check to make sure that the top was in-place and that it had fluid? How many miles on the car and when was the last time the clutch fluid was flushed?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Lack of pedal return: When you release the pedal the clutch pressure plate fingers should push the TOB into the release fork, which will push the slave cylinder ine, which will push fluid up to the master cylinder, which will push your pedal up.

Now - if your pedal is not coming back up then it's not being pushed back up by the fingers on the pressure plate. Somethign between is not connected correctly.

Possibilties, in decreasing order of likelihood:

1) Clutch fluid leaked (busted line, line fitting or leaky slave cylinder)

2) Master cylinder internal seal failure

3) Release fork dislodged from pivot ball

Given your description of a slow decline in clutch performance, and the abuse you put it through I suspect your car would appreciate a flush/bleed of the clutch fluid. Should take no more than 30 mins, including the time to R&R the engine cover and intercooler.

And quit doing donuts. It makes your car stop working.

What color was your turbo when you were done?

Yeah the clutch was done, had to get it and the flywheel replaced ($2100). Learned a valuable lesson there. Thanks guys.

$2100 is high. What else are they doing for that. The full clutch/flywheel job on an 05 normally runs about $1500.

Lack of pedal return: When you release the pedal the clutch pressure...

And quit doing donuts. It makes your car stop working.

What color was your turbo when you were done?

How bad for our LGT is it really to do some dounuts in the rain/snow? It is REALLY bad?

I don't do it but in the rain/snow it is VERY tempting...

LaLGT

Couple of things to think about here:

1) Both the MT center and rear diffs are VLSD. "Forcing" the diffs to work doing donuts overheats the LSDs

2) Doing donuts causes a tremendous amount of torque to transfer back and forth between the two axles - Also not good for the drivetrain longevity as this usually dissipates through the clutch/clutch packs in the transmission.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

How bad for our LGT is it really to do some dounuts in the rain/snow? It is REALLY bad?

I don't do it but in the rain/snow it is VERY tempting...

LaLGT

We've had 3 posters in the last two weeks have some fun in the snow. One wound up with a busted clutch, another with a busted wheel, and another with a glowing red turbo. I'd say the odds are that donuts are a bad idea.

Archived