LegacyGT.com

Yes!! A detailing forum!!!

Whatever.

We still don't have a Finer Living forum like G35driver.com.

I wanna know how to get the life!! :)

Finer Living

You've got the car-- but do you have the life? Discuss good eats, good drink, good threads. Want the latest toys? Want to live it up? This is your place.

<Mosca comes in, finds a nice comfortable adjustable creeper seat, sits down and starts rubbing an applicator in his can of #16 Paste Wax....>

Aaaaaaah. Home.

I'm helping a friend do a complete detail tomorrow. He's got some of these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/etch.jpg

I'll try to take some pics and make a "how to use ScratchX" tutorial, or something.

Most LGTs are new. Now is the time to keep your car from getting these.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

Finer Living forum? Yeah... that'll be the day. We subie drivers are really all about the clothes and bling bling... :rolleyes: WGAF about that? Only drivers of overpriced Nissans would care about that kind of thing. lol

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Allentown, PA... probably acid rain. He says the hood is covered with them.

It's going to be hard to figure what to do. I'm bringing the rotary, but I really think it needs wet sanded... but a Miata hood is aluminum and the paint thickness gauge won't work. And he thinks it might be a repaint. Or it might have been wetsanded once already. I'm thinking of checking the thickness of the paint on the trunklid and using that as a guide.

I'm bringing the rotary and some #84 Diamond Cut for the uppers, some #80 for the lowers, and then Menzerna IP and FP because Dean wants to Z it. This is going to be an all day deal, both inside and out. HE can do the inside, I'll work on the outside.

Tom

At least its just a Miata and not a Lincoln or something. lol #84 isn't fun to work with on large surfaces. I would probably just wetsand the spots and then use 84 to clean up the sanding haze.

OCDETAILS BLOG

"ask and you shall recieve" :lol:

Man, is that a sick artistic joke of "my car was keyed"? :lol: aaaawwwww, better becareful picking up that key off the paint or you'll scratch it or chip it and back away from the car slowly.

Keefe

Keefe

At least its just a Miata and not a Lincoln or something. lol #84 isn't fun to work with on large surfaces. I would probably just wetsand the spots and then use 84 to clean up the sanding haze.

I got there, and the etchings were almost unnoticeable. The car was actually very nice for a '93. The job was a straightforward swirl removal on black; #83 w/polishing pad, IP with polishing pad, FP with finishing pad. I didn't even need the Cyclo, let alone the rotary. Results are pretty acceptable for 13 year old black paint, if I do say so myself:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/deans.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9196.jpg

The white line across the hood in this image is a jet contrail; I like the wet look of the windshield reflection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9197.jpg

No, it was definitely acid rain etching, but it was so minor that I'd call it negligible.

This car has been garage kept for most of its life, and spent the last five years in a garage, inbetween the 1300 miles it drove. Miata paint is very soft, and blacks and reds are non-clearcoat. All the swirls came out with the top layer of oxidation.

Tom

Gotta love those single stage paint jobs. They can make any hack with a buffer look like a pro. lol Not that you are a hack or anything, I'm just saying it makes easy work look a lot more impressive. (that is if you can call oxidation removal easy. Its sometimes harder than it sounds, but still easier than swirl removal) You did nice work on that finish for it to look so good at an unforgiving angle with the sun in it. :) Very nice work. That paint actually isn't in as bad of shape as I would have thought for its age either. Its nice to see that every now and then.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Glad we got the new forum up. I was asking for a 'maintenance' thread - many of those type posts were getting lost in the mix. A combined detailing/maintenance one works better than none at all!

-Dan

Archived