LegacyGT.com

Down Pipe??

im new here have a 07 LGT manual. Im looking to do some upgrades. First question which upgrade grade would produce the most hp gains, down pipe,up pipe,Cobb a2 ? Also does the stock DP have 2 cats, has anyone removed one of the cats(would u get any hp gains by doing so)

thanks

Matt

Hey I'm new here too, but I think a lot of this stuff is already answered in posts. I would start by looking through the stickie at the top of the forum about cheap and free mods. But to answer your question I'm quite postive that the Cobb access port will give you the most gains if your buying just one thing, but modification is an art man, you cant just bolt random parts on to your car and expect big gains. Do your research it be best do just do everything you stated and more at once then get your tune on. Anyway hope this helps sometimes you can get bashed if you don't search first, just a little tip.

You have an 07, so there's no cat in your up pipe. You can just leave it alone. Basic stage 2 (down pipe and tune) is cheap and you'll see very significant gains. For an inexpensive used DP you can look in the marketplace. As for tuning, you have a few options. The Cobb Accessport is the most simple. It is literally plug-and-play, although the OTS (off the shelf) maps that come with it are relatively tame and not specially tuned for your unique car. A cheaper and more complicated route would be to go open source and tune yourself or get someone else to tune your car. Or you could go to a shop and get a dyno tune. If you want to learn spend time on the forum and read read read.

Chances are if you go with a DP and Cobb AP, you will need a pro-tune. From what I've read, the 07 models are more prone to overboosting without a pro-tune. A pro-tune will run you about $200-$500 depending on who does it. You could also do an e-tune. Infamous is one person that's on the board that does e-tunes and has an excellent reputation.

Another thing to consider is to upgrade your intercooler. In order to get max performance out of a stage 2 tune IMO, you need to run higher boost levels that the stock intercooler will not handle for long. Some have run the stock one without problem, others have blown theirs apart in just a few days.

good to know.. I have read on here and on Cobb that with stage 2 the boost will run about 17-18.5 psi(is this correct) and the stock intercooler can handle this with no problem?? Also I was thinking about deleting the middle muffler and keeping the two rear stock to help with sound,has anyone just deleted the middle and kept the two rear stock, how does it sound ect??

thanks

ok well thats good to know.. I have been reading this site and would like to know if going to Stage 2 will hurt my car? from what I have read some say go stage 1 and call it good.. This is my plan ERZ DP, Cobb a2(stage 2) and deleting the middle muffler, thats it...So what do you think? also is the performance gains from Stage 1 to Stage 2 a big diff?

thanks

Matt

Stage 2 will give you much more power. Stage 1 will give you better driveability and make the car smoother. There's a used cobb catted DP on here for around $450 (I got the Perrin from Fredbeans for $345) - buy that and either get a used AP or get a tactrix cable and go open source. Then email Infamous1 and get an e-tune. Of course once you start modding good luck stopping. I wanted a simple Stage 2 setup and started with a Perrin DP, Mid/Y and an AP. Since then I've added a STI STS, Perrin TMIC, AVO panel, Perrin LWFW and just picked up a VF52 that AZP will be installing for me. Infamous1 is working on my tune for that.

+1 for that Perrin dp from Fredbeans. You couldn't find them cheaper than that used. If you have a laptop, I would look for the Tactrix cable and go open source. I don't have a laptop, so the cost to get a laptop and cable vs the AccessPort was more. Since the AccessPorts now do datalogging and engine code diagnosis, you don't really lose much from that aspect. Personally, that ERZ downpipe, from what I've seen, looks pretty cheap.....

OP, what are you referring to as the middle muffler? Stock, from turbo, there's the stock two piece downpipe (each section has a cat) then the mid pipe with a resonator to the y pipe which splits off to the two muffler cans. Are you talking about the resonator?

I dont have a laptop so open source is OUT.. Yes Im talking about the resonator:rolleyes: Im going to get rid of that but thinking about keeping the stock mufflers. I want more sound but do not want it to be too loud..I will check out the Perrin DP if I can get a catted DP for around $350 than I will have to consider it..the mods I listed are all I plan on doing(for power),I will upgrade some of the suspension...

mY GOAL is more power but do not want to hurt my car..Im just trying to figure out the best and safest way to upgrade the power .thanks for all the good info

Archived