LegacyGT.com

'05 Outback XT recommended tires

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I parked my OXT next to the GX with the 265/65-17 Revo's to get an idea of the conceivabilities. No chance in heck, though it is cool to fantasize.

How about the soon to arrive FJ Cruiser? I'm starting to prepare my wife mind-manipulation techniques.

Hey all- Newbie subie owner here- I have a 2005 Outback XT and had a couple of questions regarding tire and wheels sizes so here goes:

I wanted to slap some 18x8 rims on with 245/50 r18 tires. Some sites suggest not going over stock Diameter by more than 3%. This combo would put me at 3.26% over OEM dia.

Other possibilities might be 235/50 r18, which would put me at 1.88% over OEM dia.

or 245/45 r18, which would put me under OEM dia.

My questions are:

1) Are there any problems, implications for putting the larger 245/50s on.

B) Has anyone run this tire/wheel setup before? Photos??

III) Wider tires= more grip & less sidewall height rougher ride, is this assumption right??

I wanted to go with the wider tires but will go with the smaller tire if the concensus is it wont work or will look stuuupid. Just wanted to see what the "experts" thought before I drop the coin.

Hope I got the right spot to post at, so many threads, so little time....

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Some sites suggest not going over stock Diameter by more than 3%. This combo would put me at 3.26% over OEM dia.

This is just to keep your speedometer error within reason. If you don't care about the speedometer, then go for whatever size you want. If you ran a 10% bigger wheel, just know "my speedo is off by 10%" and calculate out the important speeds (ie, if the speedo shows 59, you're going 65 mph).

1) Are there any problems, implications for putting the larger 245/50s on.

There have been several threads, not just in this sub-forum but in the other sub-forums as well about how big a tire people have stuffed under their cars. Basically, all you need to know is 'will it rub'. If not, then have fun :)

B) Has anyone run this tire/wheel setup before? Photos??

For info on running them with the wrong offset rims on a Legacy GT, look here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18058

But a more general post that has everything you want to know about wheels and tires is here (get a beer or 5 and be ready to read 27 pages, though the first has a boatload of info already)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426&highlight=245

And don't forget, we have more room in the Outback than the Legacy, in large part due to the extra height. There are several discussions about that in that second thread.

III) Wider tires= more grip & less sidewall height rougher ride, is this assumption right??

Well.... kinda sorta. A 245/45 has a 123mm sidewall. A 225/55 has a 123 mm sidewall. So wider, lower profile, doesn't always mean shorter sidewall. But, generally, when you go to bigger rims and lower profile tires, you do it to get shorter stiffer sidewalls which do feel more harsh, but also react more quickly so give the car a sportier feel.

As for more grip... no. Wider doesn't give more grip. Wider gives more "tire fade" resistance. Wider tires don't heat up as fast and cool off faster. Here's a great explanation: http://www.eccompacts.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22

Joel

Archived