LegacyGT.com

Upgrading my car

I recently bought a 1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited. Sadly, it's auto. Already had the head gasket done. Has about 147k miles. Now I'm wondering what I could do for upgrades. I live in South NH and need somewhere to get my ECU chipped/flashed. Then maybe a cold air intake? I'd also love to know where I could find a lot of parts for my car, like I hear parts from 04 STi's fit (but im not sure).

If you have the stock 16" snowflakes it will fit wrx rotors and bracket for the front, and just remeber if your getting wrx struts make sure you get them from the same car type (sedan to sedan, wagon to wagon) . as for performance, there is always the cold air intake, throttle body spacer, light flywheels, light crank pulley, exhaust, and if you want big power your can turbo your car or supercharge it, for big power comes big money lol

I have the snowflakes, not sure of the size, but they're probably stock. I was also looking away from a turbo because it's an automatic.

Limited snowflakes are 16" if that is what you have.

You can spool a turbo with a brakestand with an auto easier than manual. I prefer a manual even though mines an auto!

I have the snowflakes, not sure of the size, but they're probably stock. I was also looking away from a turbo because it's an automatic.

the Gt's came with the silver snowflakes and the Gt limiteds came with gold/chrome snowflakes either way you can run the wrx brake setup.

Yeah turbo'ing an N/A car isnt really worth it as n/a cars have high compression and turbo cars have low compression. So if you do turbo a n/a car your will have to run low boost to avoid detonation inside the cylinders.

I saving up to go supercharged, its different its unique and you have all the power without the lagg!!

I've got the limited, but I have silver wheels. And on the subject of transmissions, I heard the standard that came standard, no pun intended, on these cars wasn't a very good one.

then your ok to run the brakes, you can also check your rim size by looking on your tire it should say somthing like this on the tirewall 205/55/16

Yeah subaru's 5spd trannys are ehhh except for the jdm sti 5spd tranny which is rare as hell. But work with what you got, the thing is our tranny's get iffy around 400hp in wear and tear will really come fast. But if you really wanna see shitty transmissions visit the evo forums to learn all about it :lol:

just kidding i love evos haha

Haha don't quote me on that, but im just saying for the power you'll be putting out its nothing to worry about unless you have a gear that needs replacing then you can rebuild your tranny and put in ra gears in which are a shorter final drive. Great for auto x horrible for commuting

I put the weapon R Ram air intake on mine. It doesnt fit perfect but it works pretty well. Went to lou's custom exhaust for a cat back and new high flow muffler. I think the car came with two cats and two resonators. I just left one cat and one resonator. I was also thinking about adding the after market stabalizer bars for the wrx for the front.

I didnt know all you guys were so close to me. We will have to get a meet together in the area some time.

I know your only looking for performance right now but I do have my rims and front bumper for sale if you were interested as well.

rims sound like fun; any pictures, or are they the one's in your profile pic?

'04 STi and '02-07 WRX suspension bits are a direct bolt-on to our cars without modification, i am currently running '04 STi struts on my wagon.

I'm also looking into some suspension components because my poor legacy is riding kinda low at the rear, I'm guessing the struts are going bad or the springs. Gonna take a look under soon to see. But the million dollar question: how's the ride with the new STi struts compared to the oem ones? Handling, comfort, ride height, and on and on haha

Archived