LegacyGT.com

Creating Rear Bias

I'm looking to create a little more rear bias, I guess i'm trying to get the rear end to step out more while cornering. I don't know if it also a lack of power put out by the 2.2 on my 99 legacy wagon. I had a harder time then I excepted to get the rear end to step out while playing in a little snow this mourning. Will a larger rear sway bar help out in this situation? I'm working with a outback suspension setup if that makes a difference. Any advice on this would be helpfull

I think it's the fact that you don't have a LSD (at least I think it doesn't, you should look that up). If this is the case, the inside tire is where your power is going, preventing you from putting power to the non-slipping tires. You may be able to swap in an LSD, but I'm not sure.

does the OP have a 5mt or a 4eat? if its the 4eat, the center diff biases 90% to the front so it will be hard to get the rear to step out under power.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Happen to know what the torque bias is for manual tranny second gens? That's a shame that auto's are 90% front... kind of takes the thrill out of awd-ness.

Manual N/A's are eeeasy to get to oversteer. The lack of rear LSD makes step out nicely.

Otherwise, yeah, stiffen up the rear.

um, the lack of a rear LSD makes it harder, not easier, to get the rear end out. I've got a manual 2.2L and it's not really that hard to break it free on snow, but compared to newer legacy's that have and LSD it's much much more difficult. The reason people want LSD's is so that the torque difference on either side of the car is limited, so that in a corner the inside wheel isn't getting nearly all available torque. Now, once you break the tires free it doesn't matter as much what kind of diff you have, but the process of getting the tires loose is harder without an LSD.

Thanks guys, i'm think most of my problems are due to the forester springs on OB struts in the front, and the rear being stock. A friend and I where looking it over and thinking it out. It would seem i don't have the right weight distribution. I'm having a hard getting the rear end out when the front end is plowing like its FWD. Do the forester strut and spring combo fit if I use the Legacy Tophat/bearing? I know the OB does but there a little hard to find...

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Happen to know what the torque bias is for manual tranny second gens? That's a shame that auto's are 90% front... kind of takes the thrill out of awd-ness.

5mt's have always been 50/50 F/R. the newer 5EAT trans bias to the rear a little, but the older 4eats are stuck with most tq going to the front.

wow. wow. love it. electronics and cars. what i wanna do for a living. i got some custom idea for it to.(aka. not gonna look oem) i post pics. im doing this over christmas break

I always wanted to do this but I had bigger plans in mind, but i do have one of the best switches for it though. Can you guys guess what it is??

stick shift. or something smartasz right? i wanna do the full mod. so the awd or 50/50. and the handbrake. cause i A L W A Y S need that.

weird right?

i am also bypassing the ignition. i added a ton of toggle switches for looks and i and trying to fill them um. nothin like having the switches so modded that you need to tell your parents how to start and drive your car.

I have another center console that I begged a junk yard for and a good friend of mine crashed is 06 sti on a subaru meet that I co hosted...long story behind that hahaha.....but anyways i wanted to put the whole sti power control thing in my car (mainly just wanted the nob because it was awesome and for my winter project of many i have been combining the center console and that power control thing nob together and then use it for this mod haha. It'll look better than a old boring switch with a light, it will make it look like I have that system in my car which it just controls torque distribution lol. But its been on the back burner for quiet some time now ill start it up sometime when i acually get around to working on the mod lol

Archived