LegacyGT.com

What restrictor pill for a vf52 on stock fuel?

I will be doing a vf52 install very soon (as soon as I see another used one). I am going to be utilizing this turbo on the stock fuel injectors and pump so I want to be very cautious about how much boost I run, IDC%, overboosting, etc. My plan for this turbo is to run maybe just a little more boost than I am running right now with my vf40 so I can achieve a little better top end performance, which is all I want.

So what restrictor pill should I be using to make sure boost stays where it needs to be? The pill from the vf52 or my current vf40 pill? I have no idea the size in relation to one another so some help would be greatly appreciated. I will probably be getting an infamous tune along with this.

1mm...As per Mickeyd2005 and others the VF52 comes with two pills. Remove them both and run just the 1mm pill. Check on RomRaider for a good basemap for stock fueling from Mickeyd2005. BTW...Make sure your Stage 2 already. Good luck.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• 7 years later...

Great job in finding this.

My vf52 has the same pill my old vf40 used, which was replaced by my Tuner back about June 2009.

You do need a tune for the vf52. My vf52 has over 102,000 miles and zero shaft play on stock fueling at 21psi. It's all in the tune. http://www.tuningalliance.com is who you need to use.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great job in finding this.

My vf52 has the same pill my old vf40 used, which was replaced by my Tuner back about June 2009.

You do need a tune for the vf52. My vf52 has over 102,000 miles and zero shaft play on stock fueling at 21psi. It's all in the tune. http://www.tuningalliance.com is who you need to use.

Hey Max, I plan on getting it tuned. Just trying to rule out any mechanical problems before I waste the Tuner's time & my $. But I have talked to TA already, good people!

Hey Max, I plan on getting it tuned. Just trying to rule out any mechanical problems before I waste the Tuner's time & my $. But I have talked to TA already, good people!

Good to hear that.

I find Mike to be like a lot of the great Tuners, he doesn't say much, but what he say's is correct. Only Tuner I've met that didn't fit the "Tuner Mold", was Chris Miller, the guy is a character, but knows his stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Good to hear that.

I find Mike to be like a lot of the great Tuners, he doesn't say much, but what he say's is correct. Only Tuner I've met that didn't fit the "Tuner Mold", was Chris Miller, the guy is a character, but knows his stuff.

I haven't talked to Mike yet, but have heard good things. I talked to Brittany back and forth through e-mails.

*BTW, the 1mm pill did fix the wastegate/boost issue. Apparently the installer removed/lost the old pill that was in there when replacing hoses.

I remember years ago, when I first met Mike, during the street tune he had me stop by a auto parts store. He went in and bought a small wire splice, took the plastic of it so it was just the metal crimp. He had a short piece of vacuum hose. He stuck the splice, the new "pill" in the hose and replaced the one on the vf40. Car held more boost from then on.

That same "pill" is still in the vf52.

Archived