LegacyGT.com

idle problem

I have a 99 30th aniv. edi. legacy with the 2.2 and just started having problems with idling today. First of all i'm not sure which code I am BH or BK or whatever. Anyways I just started having this problem today. The car runs normal, but when I let off the gas and pop her out of gear into neutral it it goes down past 1k to about 300 and almost dies, lights dim as well as engine shakes. I thought it was a battery problem, checked the voltage and it's running at 13.4, i've checked wires, brand new coil from yesterday switched back to the old one and still had the same prob, checked hoses and everything seems to be normal. I don't see anything physically wrogn with the engine. I had my dad check it out and he couldn't find anything either. We've both come to the conclusion that it's a wiring problem. Neither of us know anything about modern day car wiring. I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem or has any idea's to what it may be. Any help would be great!

There is the throttle adjustment over by the throttle body; it's just a corded set-up. My 98 was running around 500 and she sounded terrible, but a quick adjustment (simple dual-lock nut, I think it's the cord on the passenger side, but don't quote me on that) fixed that problem. May be electrical like you said, but maybe something loosened up one of those bolts, and you're getting a stupid idle as a result. I'll look into it, but try that, and good luck.

I also checked the spark plugs and the one to cylinder 3 was in rough shape as well as having oil on it.. I am starting to think maybe my 02 sensor is done for and causing the problem. I have had my check engine light come on multiple times, the first time it was misfire in cylinder one next couple were for catalytic system, 02 sensor and last for cylinder 3. The car burns oil like no other, even using engine restore with oil changes. I am starting to look for used ej22's to rebuild and checking the sensor and my cats when I get an exhaust. Thanks for the help BTW

O2 sensor and clean your throttle body. I wrote-up a long "how-to" over on Nasioc a few year's back...search on my SN and throttle plate... probably in the 2nd gen Legacy forum.

And you have a BK if it's a 99 Legacy L 30th anniversary edition wagon...

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And with that amount of oil consumption, AND the misfires, you've probably compromised the head gaskets as well. Plug(s) like that are not a good sign. Could also have a fouled injector on #3 too.

I'm going to check out the 02 sensor on tues when i am done with school and i'll clean up the throttle body as well. If the head gaskets were gone wouldn't it show under the car? I'll go ahead and check out your how to on NASIOC. Thanks for the info.

HGs on 2.2 tend to internally compromise with some seepage externally (though very unusual unless seriously damaged.) Can't recall from above, did you replace the wires when you replaced the coilpack?

I checked the battery which was at 13.4v, for it to be there wouldn't the alternator still be generating power. The car was doing it the previous day so if the alternator was going out the battery shouldn't have been at it's normal voltage. I also replaced the alternator about 4 months ago or maybe 10k, although that means shit sometimes..

There's so many things here that you'd really need to do a step-by-step through all of them.

1). Check your electrical ground and do the grounding mod if you haven't already (gens 1-3 were notorious for bad grounding)

2). Clean the Throttle body and the Inlet Air Solenoid (in the same walk-through that I mentioned earlier)

3). Check your fuel delivery, including your fuel filter (could be clogged)

4). Check your air filter, could be dirty

5). Do a leak-down on the cylinders to see if your HGs are going/gone

6). and the list goes on

leakdown, unless you have the tools and know what you're doing is best left to the techs. I'm sure there's a walk-through, here or on Nasioc.

Archived