LegacyGT.com

MPG Drop

shopper

I have a 05 5EAT LGT. On the stock tires I was getting 21.3MPG. I just purchased Goodyear Eagle GTs that are the same size as the stockers and I am now getting between 19.5-19.8MPG. I was wondering if this is normal or if there could be something else wrong? About the same time I had my tires changed I had a coil go bad and had that replaced at the dealer. They also told me I also needed spark plugs. Im wondering if any of this could be related to my drop in MPG?

I run GY Eagle F1's, after a recent road trip, 4500 miles, I noticed that compared to the same trip last year my MPG dropped about 3 mpg with the wider tries with more grip. Also at the same time if you plugs were indeed needing to be replaced that could have contributed to your loss. Overall it was probably a combination of the two.

Hello! I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. I have a 2007 outback with manual trnasmission and 2.5I with 45,000 mostly highway miles. Over the past 10,000 miles, my mileage has dropped. I was getting around 27 mpg on the freeway - now getting 23 mph. I check my tire pressure weekly and have about 3,000 miles on a new airfilter. My local dealer says I may need new plugs and that he would gladly change them for $160. However, everytime I bring my car in for routime service, he tells me I need $500 - $1,000 of additional service. If he is being truthful, it seems as if buying a Subaru was a bad decision. If he is simply "upselling" me, that is another issue. Regardless, it's hard for me to know when he is offering good advice and when he is selling me things I don't need.

Sorry if that was TMI. Does 23 mpg seem low? If so, what should I be checking? Is $160 a fair proce to pay for a change of spark plugs.

Thanks!

If any of you guys are in the Northern States, this is the time of the year that the fuel changes for Winter. I don't know a lot of details about the additives or whatever they do to it, but I do know that it can produce a seasonal reduction of 3-4MPG easily. Just some food for thought for anyone noticing a "sudden" change.

- Allen.

Hello! I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. I have a 2007 outback with manual trnasmission and 2.5I with 45,000 mostly highway miles. Over the past 10,000 miles, my mileage has dropped. I was getting around 27 mpg on the freeway - now getting 23 mph. I check my tire pressure weekly and have about 3,000 miles on a new airfilter. My local dealer says I may need new plugs and that he would gladly change them for $160. However, everytime I bring my car in for routime service, he tells me I need $500 - $1,000 of additional service. If he is being truthful, it seems as if buying a Subaru was a bad decision. If he is simply "upselling" me, that is another issue. Regardless, it's hard for me to know when he is offering good advice and when he is selling me things I don't need.

Sorry if that was TMI. Does 23 mpg seem low? If so, what should I be checking? Is $160 a fair proce to pay for a change of spark plugs.

Thanks!

IMHO no, its spark plugs, but now days that seems to be the going rate. mechanical work seems to be getting more expensive. I would be cautious about them trying to sell you work you may not need. I think you would have to be more specific about what they want to do.

If any of you guys are in the Northern States, this is the time of the year that the fuel changes for Winter. I don't know a lot of details about the additives or whatever they do to it, but I do know that it can produce a seasonal reduction of 3-4MPG easily. Just some food for thought for anyone noticing a "sudden" change.

- Allen.

Also this...lol...:rolleyes:

Is the tire exactly the same diameter as the stock? If it's larger, it may seem like you are getting worse gas mileage since you'd be getting less revolutions per mile. My MPG on the car's computer dropped by ~1MPG after adding slightly larger dia wheels/tires.

will have to check the tires. However, I check the mileage by dividing miles travelled by gallons used. Had new Bosch plugs installed by a mechanic for $40 - also discovered that I had a brake caliper sticking. After new plugs and brake service, drove to Albany and back (155 miles) with the computer reading 24 mpg. I'm hoping the mileage will improve in a tank or two. If not, back to the drawing board.

I thought I read somewhere they are heavier compared to RE92s. One of the online tire retailers used to list tire weights, but I think they went out of business.

So when you add in an extra few lbs of tire weight, plus all the other factors already mentioned, that's why your MPG is lower.

I saw as low as 16mpg in winter in my old '95 Legacy, and that's with cheap 14" tires. I get the same in my '05 LGT with the also not lightweight GY Eagle F1 AS tires.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived