LegacyGT.com

Need help identifying a mystery engine

I need some info about a liberty I bought . The guy was clueless as to why it was different from stock . It's engine code is ej22enw11d and the option code is dt . It sounds alot rougher and louder than my other liberty . The original owner dis mention something about it might be a jap engine and something about turbo but the car has a stock non scoop bonnet . No intercooler mounting points . Although itsounds like I has a whine as itaccelerates and the sound comes from the paasenger side footwell . Please can someone help me identify the engine please

I don't know if you can put iPhone pics on here can you . It's a 1990 awd wagon . It's sohc and it has a completely different front to the 89 and the 94 . It's has space for the stock fogs . Sort of diamonds . Has sunroof as well . Don't know the relevance

If you look on the engine block, to the left of the alternator underneath and slightly in front of the intake manifold the characters "EJ22" or "EJ20" should be stamped onto the block. Also, if the engine has DOHC's it isn't the EJ22, unless it is the extremely rare DOHC EJ22G. If it does chances are it's an EJ20. What country are you in again? It makes a difference on what kind of engine this could possibly be.

Also, if you post the VIN this could be easier, but if the engine was swapped out for a different one it won't help at all.

Does the ej20 look much like the ej22 . Because having the two cars side by side they have completely different idles sounds . Definately no turbo

every single EJ engine looks the same on the outside. maybe some small differences but nothing the average consumer would notice. only the internals and internal block walls make a difference between the EJ engines. which is why u can put any engine from 89-present in any model year subaru.

Cams would make it sound "Rougher", but as said before, it is HIGHLY unlikely that someone would do that, especially with no supporting modifications, as the cams would do little good other than change where power comes from on the RPM band.

To send pics, email them to your email address, then use your computer to upload them to Photobucket or the image hosting company of your choosing then post the link to the pictures on the forum.

when the ej22 is mentioned it is most likely the ej22e. there are other ej22 blocks out there but since your engine seems to be N/A its a ej22e.

benaaron87: theres open, closed and semi closed. i posted pics to show u the difference. notice the cylinder walls around the piston area and you will see the difference.

this is an open deck used on mostly N/A subaru engines.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attachments/engine-modifications/13540d1064500331-closed-deck-vs-open-deck-stage1.jpg

this is a closed deck used on the earlier turbo engines. (the US only saw these closed deck engines from 91-94 and were 2.2L. they dont make these blocks anymore and these engines are rare and range from 500-1000 for just the block used. (i have 3 of them...;))

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attachments/engine-modifications/13542d1064500414-closed-deck-vs-open-deck-turbo_block_stage3.jpg

STI's used a SEMI closed deck that looks like this.

http://www.powerlabs.org/images/P3310337_small.JPG

also research your engine here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22E

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry my friend, the only thing that's going to help you now is pictures.

Unless you have super-human drawing skills in Microsoft Paint.....

:lol:

And to get pictures to the internet with an iPhone you have to take the picture, email it to your email address, then download the file from the email onto a computer.

Just be aware that some Subaru engines did have a water-carried intercooler, so the intake air was cooled by water and the water in turn had a separate radiator in front of the normal cooling radiator.

And the original Subaru XT with turbo didn't have an intercooler.

But the best way is to actually look into the engine compartment and dig around to see if there is a turbo hiding somewhere.

Then there is the option that the cam belt has been replaced and that it was misaligned causing the engine to run rougher.

There are a pile of variations on the theme of an engine. Without looking at the engine in question and comparing it to another it's almost impossible to say what it is.

But from my general experience turbo engines are usually not running rough - they are fairly smooth - until the turbo starts charging and they show their muscles.

453747.png

What angle shots do you want . I have pulled out ej22 engines abit and changed a couple of gearboxes . Definately no turbo unless it's hiding inside the engine . Sarcasm sorry . Def no turbo and I'm inclined to agree about the timing belt because it seems abit laggy

Archived