LegacyGT.com

Why all these percieved knock events?

LGTspecB1657615261

This log was a really short city drive with a couple of stops in the middle. It was between 45 and 50 degrees out. I had just done a 3rd gear pull, and was driving to my destination.

I notice a lot of knock events. Many seem to be clustered right around when I am accelerating out of a dead stop.

I have no high load knock events, and I do not knock on a 3rd gear pull. But I seem to have a decent amount while city driving, this log being an example. Should I be concerned?

romraiderlog_20091201_182938.csv

From what I have read the false knock is a result of the sensor not being able to differentiate engine noise from true knock in the low rpm region...after 3000 rpm it gets pretty good at capturing knock.

When I first installed my FMIC I was able to create a knock event just by moving around my charge pipes (they rubbed in certain areas) while idling...you could see knock sum increment every time I wiggled the pipes. I do not think it is heatsoak related.

From what I have read the false knock is a result of the sensor not being able to differentiate engine noise from true knock in the low rpm region...after 3000 rpm it gets pretty good at capturing knock.

When I first installed my FMIC I was able to create a knock event just by moving around my charge pipes (they rubbed in certain areas) while idling...you could see knock sum increment every time I wiggled the pipes. I do not think it is heatsoak related.

ok thanks. Its probably just coincidence that I had more knock after the pull. So far I am not seeing any knock in the high end, so I will just ignore all the junk that is showing up in the low end.

FWIW, I get a ton of low rpm knock some days and almost none the next.

I think the sensor is just whacky at low RPM...if your WOT runs are clean and you LV shows only low rpm (less than 2500-3000 rpm) learned knock, I would not worry too much about it.

All this low load low rpm knock is very normal. I have the same car at stage 2 and see very similar results. I've done several long trips (same trip each time) logging knock sum and using pivot tables for each giant log file and see knock in almost all the same places each trip.

I almost always get 120-140 knock events on this specific trip which is about an hour of highway driving. On each log the pivot tables looked almost identical with most all the knock showing up between 2400 and 3200 rpm and .3 to .9 load.

At one point I removed 3 full degrees of timing in that whole area of my cruise and non cruise timing tables and took the same trip several times and the knock pivot tables looked identical to before making the timing changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived