LegacyGT.com

Looking to lower my car, some questions

Waynerm002

I am in the DC Metro area, what are my options on shops to get parts and have the work done? Any prices on this kind of work? I am not looking for an expensive option however, I have been reading a lot and I see that the best option is to change the springs and shocks. Coil overs are a nice feature with some adjustability built in however, they cost a lot more just for the parts and the labor is going to be another thing.

When I had my Passat lowered a few years back, it came back with a slammed look. The shop had recommended, ordered and installed the parts and they were surprised at how low the car was. I am not looking to have that happen again. Not that the ride was not compliant at that height, but speedbumps, driveways with any incline caused the car to bottom out or rub. From an estimated guess I would say that the gap right now is about 3 inches in back and about 3 and a half up front. I would love to go about 1 to 1.5 inch lower.

The ride is nice right now but it leans too much in corners and nose dives a lot on braking. If just changing the springs will help, then that is probably what rI would do. I read here that the shock might wear out faster but what are we talking? 2 years? More? What would be the best thing to do? Springs, shocks and springs, strut brace, larger sway bars? Please provide some input here guys. What I would really like is to ride in a car that has some work done to them to gauge what is the ride/height/changes are and decide which way to go.

you are not too far from me or Racecomp Engineering. You probably want to get springs if you dont want to go the route I did with coilovers. I live just north of DC, so I know what it is like for your daily commute. It really depends on the springs you use and the type of driving you will see before the shocks give out on you.

Shocks, springs, sway bars, strut bars, brace bars all do different things.. so depending on what you REALLY want, you might not need all of the parts.

I have Zeal Coilovers on my car, basically I am 75% of what you can possibly do to suspension parts before going into FULL RACE suspension. And yes, I do drive through DC.

If you need to know or need a ride, let me know and just PM me.

Keefe

Keefe

Since you have a 2.5i, how about getting 2.5GT suspension parts? I am sure there are people out there who would sell their stock stuff when they upgrade? At least you could get the GT sway bars, shocks and then add some springs to get the lower ride height. IIRC, the GT has a little better suspension that the i models.

Keefe - please correct me if I am off.

-Dan

I thought the cars had the same setup, suspension wise. I don't see the sense in using parts from a GT and get new springs. That would not be cost effective. I would think a set of springs matched to shocks would do the trick. I had paid about $700 for the springs and shocks on the Passat, the Audi I ordered with the sport package ($750 MSRP) which included wheels, springs and shocks. Of course I know that that price out of the factory is different than a lot of the aftermarket equipment. Right now, I am weighing my options and learning as much as I can before doing this.

This is the "information gathering" phase for me. As this is a totally new car for me and my daily driver, I don't plan on dumping a lot of money into fixes, not that I have any to dump. I want to make sure that I am going to be satisfied when it is done and that no matter where I drive, I will like the setup and not wish I had not chosen that particular setup.

Many of us are looking into the Spec B Bilstein's from Japan with the STi 'pink' springs. This is an OEM strut and pseudo-OEM spring combo that accomplishes what many of us want. Firmer handling, no squat and worry free performance in the long run.

I may be wrong about the GT parts....just a thought, as they would likely not cost much as take-off's.

What are those going for? I hope not some ridiculous price just because it is new here. I have learned a lot from being an early adopter to know that I realy don't want to be one of the first to test out a thing if it may affect other suspension components. That proved to be costly on the Passat. If you have a link to some place that I can get prices and specs, I would much appreciate it.

Since you have a 2.5i, how about getting 2.5GT suspension parts? I am sure there are people out there who would sell their stock stuff when they upgrade? At least you could get the GT sway bars, shocks and then add some springs to get the lower ride height. IIRC, the GT has a little better suspension that the i models.

Keefe - please correct me if I am off.

-Dan

"We have a winner!"

Keefe

Keefe

Keefe - so GT parts are indeed a bit sportier than the 'i' ones?

Wayne - there is a thread somewhere here from 'apexjapan' - Paul can source us the Spec B stuff from Subaru of Japan. Not cheap.....about $1700 for the full Bilstein/STi spring pkg. Remember, this is OEM stuff, so it is a perfect fit and a matched set. Certainly, there is cheaper studd out there but as 'Jaxx' learned with his Progress stuff, it doesn't always 'work'. Clearance issues.....

Keefe - so GT parts are indeed a bit sportier than the 'i' ones?

The shocks are definitely different, as for the stock springs, I wasn't aware of it being the same spring (same part number?). You can add some GT stuff onto the 2.5i (aftermarket would be a better choice).

Keefe

Keefe

Now that is curious. From the look of the car, the rife height seems to be the same. The sways I would think a little larger to make the ride a little better than the "i" models. What I find strange though is that on some of the threads I have been reading, it seems as though there are separate part numbers for suspension parts for both cars as well as for sedan and wagon.

Forgive me if I sound a little skeptical. This is just the flash back to that Passat I keep talking about. Everything was supposed to be a certain way and then the confused look of "I have never seen one that low" on the faces of the shop manager and tech. When I said that was not what I wanted, I was told that in order to put it back, I would have to pay for the labor.

You guys that respond are the most respected sources on this site and not afraid to 'fess up if you were wrong. I am very happy with this site as there are not a lot of folks out to bash other that have little knowledge on these things and ask "silly" questions. I hope to make it to one of the local meets so we can trade info, in my case, pick your brains. I have to say that on a whole, the car handles much better than I was expecting, almost "German" like. In my opinion, it needs to keep that compliance and decrease the dive and roll that the factory suspension has, plus decrease the gap in the wheel well.

I know in my case, from the amount of miles I drive per year, I may need to replace the shocks if I don't get a set of spring that is matched, a lot more frequently than most. That to me is not the way I want to go. I want to get something that does the job and will last about as long as the factory parts would last. As I am getting older, my priorities have changed a bit so spending a lot on the car is a no-no in my household but, one has ways of getting around things as long as they meet a price point.

The shocks are definitely different, as for the stock springs, I wasn't aware of it being the same spring (same part number?).

Keefe

20330AG02A is the only front spring listed for the legacy. The other spring listed is for the outback (20330AG11A).

Archived