LegacyGT.com

timing belts and starting the car

i have a 1992 subaru legacy L SOHC 2.2 liter. it died one day and i checked the timing belt...it was really bad so i replaced it...i read the book and did everything according to factory standards and the vehical still wont start... please help me if you know of anything else that could be wrong.. thanks travis

Did you reconnect any electrical connections?

Did you install the timing belt the same way it came off? If the car died because of timing, the belt would have had to skip a few teeth somewhere, which you would've noticed in the form of hesitation as the car became farther away from proper timing. If you just put the belt on without resetting the camshafts and crankshaft with the alignment marks all you did was reinstall the timing belt with bad timing. Another possibility is that the car is out of timing 180 degrees, which would mean the belt was put on so that ignition occurs after the exhaust valve has closed rather than the intake valve.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the timing and the car died for some other reason. Make sure the car is getting fuel and spark, then move on to checking electrical components such as cam and crank position sensors.

Does the car pop at all? I assume it cranks over, but does it try to fire? If it doesn't even try, chances are it's electrical... Something to do with ignition (Coil, ECU, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, or any wires/plugs attached to them). If it fires intermittently and cannot stay running chances are it's fuel related (Pump, clogged filter, big gaping leak in a fuel line releasing substantial fuel pressure). What happens when you give the car throttle while it's cranking over? Does the sound of the engine change in pitch at all?

i have the book and read everything carefully.. i realigned the cams and the cam shaft to TDC and put the belt on matching the marks for z1 and z2 on the cams.... got the tension the right was but the car just wont fire over.. me and my brother did this three times the past two days and still the same results... so you know before realizing the belt was stripped of its teeth and needed replacing the check engine light was throwing codes for the cam positioning sensor and the cam shaft sensor.. after changing the belt and having the battery disconnected for the past good while the check engine light is just blinking on and off not reading any codes at all..nothing happening when i give it throttle and the tone changed tremendously after installing the new timing belt... we checked the cams for proper alignment after the turn over and it seemed the belt had skipped again but that doesnt make any sense because of how tight the belt was after the really hard installation....do u have any tips for an easier installation on the belt?

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtCamBeltReplaceW01.pdf

Endwrench article on how to do this. I'm sure it will tell you the same stuff as the shop manual, I only hope it gives you better pictures.

Check the cam position sensor. These can come undone or even go bad on occasion. Without the cam angle sensor, the ECU doesn't know when to fire the ignition, so it won't.

Archived