LegacyGT.com

HELP! Possible Engine Seize

I just joined this forum this morning. My seventeen year old bought a 1999 legacy 30th anniversary edition a month ago from a private seller. A young kid put a lot of detail into it great body,,, All has been good even took it to Faulkner Subaru in Allentown to look it over. The boots were torn and a couple other items and we adressed them all and left w/ putting in $450 worth of work and parts (forgot to mention he pd $1700 for it) Sooo...to make a long story short he was driving last night it was making a ticking sound and the oil gauge looked low so he put oil in it and the ticking changed to a knocking a now the car sounds like it's trying to start but it won't turn over. I called a tow truck and had it towed to a local garage that won't be open until tomorrow. If it is seized is it really worth getting a new engine? He saved 2 years dishwashing to buy it and now as a mom my heart breaks to think he just flushed that all down the toilet. Any advise and ideas would greatly be appreciated. We are trying to keep his spirits up but I have a feeling the news will be bad on Monday! Thanks!

Sorry, it sounds lie the engine seized. The other way to tell is to put a big wench on the bolt on the end of the crank and see if you can turn it. The question is, how much you want to spend to fix it? Subie engines are not very expensive to replace. Where do you live? There should be a member near you that could help you out. You will find most people on this site are very nice and helpful.

Sorry I just read your post again. It maybe your timing belt. If it turns over faster then normal if could be the timing belt.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Thanks for the reply we live in Allentown PA

No, problem. I posted a link to your post in the mid-atlantic forum. Maybe someone there close to you can help you.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

New Turbo shortblock is only $1800 from dealership. So a non-turbo should be even cheaper... one would think anyways.

Go to Becker Subaru. Much better dealership than faulkner.

+1 for Becker. Becker is worlds better than Faulkner. In general, avoid Faulkner anything unless you want to get gouged on prices for crappy work.;)

I would check out car-part.com.

You should be able to source the SOHC motors for between 300- 600 bucks.

You can also put a wanted to buy add on RS25, as the RS' and Legacies shared the same motors at this time.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

If it's a 99 Legacy GT or Outback, it has a 2.5L DOHC engine (Double-overhead Cam) and if it's a Legacy L it has a 2.2L SOHC engine (Single-overhead Cam).

The ticking/tapping sound he heard may be the timing belt tensioner (common issue on these cars) and if it went bad, then it could allow the timing belt to slip and/or break. Since both engines (2.5 DOHC and 2.2 SOHC) are "interference" engines - where the timing belt controls the interaction between the pistons and the valves - if the timing belt broke (or slipped), then the one or more piston could actually collide with (interfere with) one or more valves - and that's going to be a teardown/replace the engine cost if that happens.

I'm hopeful one of our forum members can do a quick assessment with you all and get you back on the path to normal Subaru operation. Keep us posted.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You should be able to source the SOHC motors for between 300- 600 bucks.

You can also put a wanted to buy add on RS25, as the RS' and Legacies shared the same motors at this time.

Believe the pre-2000 RS25s were 2.5 DOHC. Legacys didn't get the 2.5 SOHC until Gen 3 (2000+). And if this member's Legacy is a 2.2 SOHC, then there's a lot of rewiring issues to overcome to upgrade to the 2.5 DOHC (or even the nextgen 2.5 SOHC).

Believe the pre-2000 RS25s were 2.5 DOHC. Legacys didn't get the 2.5 SOHC until Gen 3 (2000+). And if this member's Legacy is a 2.2 SOHC, then there's a lot of rewiring issues to overcome to upgrade to the 2.5 DOHC (or even the nextgen 2.5 SOHC).

Actually the only year the RS recieved the DOHC was in '98.

Everything after that was the later SOHC motors up until todays motors.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

First off-thanks to everyone who replied! Just to give a little history on it, we bought 10/25/09 I took it to Becker Subaru on 11/5/09 just so they could really look it over and like my original post said , torn boots on the tierods and a couple of other minor items that we addressed right away. This past saturday after the "knocking sound" started I had it towed to Eberhardts in Whitehall and they just called to say the engine is cooked. I hate to take it to a junk yard but certainly can't afford $3,000 for a used engine. The body is in good condition and interior is good too. I don;t know what else to do...I don't know enough about cars. The garage also said there was barely any antifreeze in it. I know this was a private seller but it's pretty shitty a kid saves all he can to buy a car and it only last a month!:confused:

Actually the only year the RS recieved the DOHC was in '98.

Everything after that was the later SOHC motors up until todays motors.

I worked on two 1999 RSes in SoCal that were Phase II DOHCs (stock) - and was told by my master tech (27+ years) that Subaru had cobbled several of these together, i.e., 2.5 PH1 block with PH2 SOHC heads and 2.5 PH2 blocks with PH1 DOHC heads, as they were ramping down 2.5 DOHC production and ramping up 2.5 SOHC production - ostensibly to use up old stock. This was the days before Subaru had fully implemented their engine facility in Indiana so parts were fitted up as they were available.

But, back on topic - Still not sure what the root cause is and why the car needs a new motor. And, my advice is to get it to a Subaru technician for a full assessment.

The 30th anniversary Legacy is a great piece of kit and whether it's automatic or manual transmission has a lot of service life to give. Consider it a diamond in the rough (right now) that just needs some cleaning and polishing to get it to shine again. Especially if it's a 2.2L Phase 2 emission model (made after April 1999), you're looking at $3-400 for a good used engine, probably a little less if its the Phase 1 emission variant. Add another $800 for install and you'd be good to go.

That said, it really will depend on what's "broken" in the first place and a certified Subaru technician's assessment is the right first step.

I'm in Bethlehem and am always willing to lend and hand and a wrench if your son decides to do whatever work it needs himself (which he should, its always cheaper to buy parts and tools than it is to buy parts and labor). As for the parts, Harrys is great and their prices simply can not be beat. I'm not sure of the Subaru inventory at the Allentown lot, but a quick trip the the Hazleton lot would definitely yield a motor. Throw in a couple hundred bucks worth of new seals, gaskets, rings, belts, etc and you can end up with a $500 motor that's almost as good as new.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived