LegacyGT.com

AArgh; adding XM and good sound to a leased vehicle...

Mosca

I've been reading all the stuff here. It's tough, because I don't want to do anything that will compromise the vehicle, and the factory sound system is "OK enough"; I don't want to do $5000 worth of install on a leased car.

I got the Roady2, and I'm less than enamored of it. I'd like a cleaner look, and sound quality at least as good as the factory sound. Again, I'm not looking for audiophile sound; I'm riding in a car, after all (I'm a guy with $5000 worth of wires in my home system, btw; tubes, vinyl, and electrostatics).

I like a lot of msmith's solutions. I like the Terk in the cubby. I'm not willing to do the speakers & such in the doors, too much $$ and work for a leased car.

For those with XM on an FM modulator (NOT transmitter); is the sound acceptable? I would really like to do it through an aux-in, but obviously that's not going to happen.

For msmith: would the JL Clean Sweep also work as ONLY a way to RCA an aux source? It would be an expensive solution, but I would still have the unit when the lease was up.

I guess I could also burn 6 CDs of XM, huh?

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

i've got a hardwired fm modulator and an XM commander unit.

the sounds quality is 'alright' at best. It sounds like a strong FM station. And compared to wireless FM transmitters - it is much better.

The volume output of the modulator is also pretty low - so that i've got to turn up the stereo quite a bit to get loud music. THen if i switch back regular radio or CD without adjusting the volume it will be insanely loud and scare the hell out of me.

If an AUX in solution was easily available, i'd switch to that in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

That's wierd, I had the Sirius Sportster installed in my work van, and

it has an FM modulator. It's volume level is almost spot on to the FM Radio's.

The radio might be like one click louder, but it's VERY minimal.

With the exception of when I go on a road trip, the sound is pretty darn clear.

You get an occasional static buzz, but it's no biggie, I just switch to another

FM frequency.

I read somewhere with XM (on one of their units I guess...maybe it's all of them) you

have only 8 frequencies to choose from on the FM modulator.

With Sirius, you can choose EVERY station from 87.1

to 107.9

So even if you travel, there's always a station that picks up the Sirius signal

loud and clear.

As long as you're willing to install an aftermarket amplifier, the CleanSweep would allow you to add the aux source through line level. The outputs of the CleanSweep are designed to feed aftermarket amps only (they can't run back into the OEM head unit).

You could certainly upgrade the system by swapping to better quality speakers (6.5-inch all around) without resorting to expensive custom work (just some spacers). Then add a multi-channel amp to power the speakers and a sub (if you want a sub).

A good quality 5-ch or 6-ch amp can be had for around $400.00 (our e6450 fits that bill). Good quality 6.5-inch coaxials run around $150.00/pr (our TR650-CXi is in that price range) and coaxials will image better than separates in the stock locations. A good single 10-inch subwoofer in an enclosure can be had for about $200 (CS110RG-W1v2). Add the CleanSweep for $400 and a Terk XM Commander for about $150.00.. and you have a total for equipment of approximately $1450... add cables and labor and you could probably get it all installed for around $1750.

If you don't want a subwoofer, you could go with a four-channel amp (e4300) and save about $300.00 off the total.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I've been reading all the stuff here. It's tough, because I don't want to do anything that will compromise the vehicle, and the factory sound system is "OK enough"; I don't want to do $5000 worth of install on a leased car.

I got the Roady2, and I'm less than enamored of it. I'd like a cleaner look, and sound quality at least as good as the factory sound. Again, I'm not looking for audiophile sound; I'm riding in a car, after all (I'm a guy with $5000 worth of wires in my home system, btw; tubes, vinyl, and electrostatics).

I like a lot of msmith's solutions. I like the Terk in the cubby. I'm not willing to do the speakers & such in the doors, too much $$ and work for a leased car.

For those with XM on an FM modulator (NOT transmitter); is the sound acceptable? I would really like to do it through an aux-in, but obviously that's not going to happen.

For msmith: would the JL Clean Sweep also work as ONLY a way to RCA an aux source? It would be an expensive solution, but I would still have the unit when the lease was up.

I guess I could also burn 6 CDs of XM, huh?

Tom

I used the Delphi XM modulator for my SkyFi and it's top-notch. Millions of times greater than the TuneCast 2 I was using.. No hiss, and there is actually bass and treble.. It about as good as XM gets, since all a true aux-in allows you to hear is compression artifacts (had to fiddle with my Pioneer to lessen the effects of a line-in)..

Archived