LegacyGT.com

CBE = Tune?

veritas

I've searched but can't find just a plain yes or no. All i have is an AVO drop in in my 08 LGT 5eat. I'm really just looking for a nicer sound. I'm looking at CBE's and wanted to know if I need to get a tune for it or can I just leave it stock. Not looking to upgrade beyond this. ( My wife's car).

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

Vin C

NYC

Nope. If you get a high flow catted or uncatted DP, you betcha! But it won't harm anything if you don't get a tune. You will get an annoying CEL come up. Plus you will not be getting all the power potential if you were to get a tune.

Highly advised, not mandatory, to get a tune if you go with a full change of the exhaust system.

More issues with no tune for the drop in filter than with no tune for the cbe. In fact you dont need a tune for the cbe (unless you want to get any power out of it). But that AVO filter is causing a lean condition for sure. You might want to pull an LV and make sure you are still within range. Any air filter other than OEM that flows more air than OEM deserves a tune. I have posted elsewhere my experience with a simple Purolator replacement filter causing a lean condition because it flowed more air than stock.

the avo drop in shouldn't cause a lean condition, not from what i understand. i think the issue is when they replaced the filter housing/airbox with a completely new setup. a drop-in panel filter shouldn't do anything.

Already took my AVO out and put my stock one back in. I barely heard the thing anyway. All I really want is a better sound so I think a CBE or just axle back mufflers will do the job. All the crap I've been reading about 08's and 09's and their crappy internals and turbos blowing up and people telling me that even a panel filter can cause problems down the road, I have a friggin headache. I might even spring for the SPT exhaust just so I have a little more piece of mind. I have a full and extended warranty and don't want any reason to rock the boat. These cars are wayyyyyyy to sensitive if you ask me. I gotta go find a mid nineties 4cyl turbo and just mod that lol.

Have both the SPT and the X02. SPT is quieter at all RPM's and speeds. Stock DP makes a HUGE difference in the sound level too.

SPT is very nice. But for the money the X02 is great. If on the East Coast the SPT offers much better rust protection than the X02. But, my SPT cost $800 and my X02 cost $300.

Thanks, thats what i thought. I really just want some better sound when I get on it. Would I get drone from just an axle back setup? Only asking bc it would be cheaper than an SPT and I can't imagine having a warranty issue with just some aftermarket mufflers.

Anything performance aftermarket is louder than stock.

If you are that worried about drone maybe modding isn't for you.

Yes axle backs are quieter than CBE's.

If all you want is noise, just have some resonated tips welded on the stock cans. Or do the Hogzaust mod.

Drone is a personal preference. My wife drives a stage 2.5 LGT with Cobb catted DP and X02 CBE. Its louder than my stage 2 Spec B with ERZ catted DP and SPT CBE. She doesn't mind and likes the sound. If your wife is that picky leave it stock.

Archived