LegacyGT.com

Refilling Gear oil in a 97 LGT 5MT? Am I really that blind?

OK guys, this is a really easy question...

Where the hell do you put the gear oil for the transmission and front differential in a 97 subaru legacy GT 5MT. I looked all over google, Searched all over this forum and all I can find is debates on what to use. I cant find one decent explanation or picture anywhere. All I read about is a dip stick towards the back of the engine. I looked for a good 20 mins and cant find any sort of dip stick. I can see the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission but cant seem to figure out how to fill it back again. I changed the rear diff fluid quick easy and Im getting frustrated with the front now. Can someone just call me an idiot and tell me what Im missing here please.

Thanks

Brett

Well if a 2.5 is a 2.5, mine is an 07,looking from the passenger side.

look for where the engine engine ends and the transmission begins. There is a dispstick( like an oil filler tube), the cover may be black. Its very short, barely above the tranny hump.

I don't have a working digital camera, so i can't take pictures.

Hope this helps

O.

It's really hidden, pretty much under the intercooler but yes it's on the pass. side right at the back probably about 8" from the firewall and about 2-3" from the centreline of the vehicle.

To fill the oil you need a funnel with a plastic tube fitted to the bottom so you can feed it to the filler tube.

Ill take a picture for you guys to show you what im looking at.

I dont have an intercooler either lol.

Dante,

You just need a half inch driver socket wrench. The butt of the driver fits in the bolts(Female looking bolt head). Take both bolts off to drain. Clean bolts. Put bottom bolt back in and just squeeze the gear oil into the top hole until it starts to come out again. Pretty simple.

I know what you mean I loked for a couple of days and could not find it. I ended up finding it on my sister's Impreza first. Her car has less air intake ducting so I could see it better. On my car (98 GT 5mt) I know where it is but still can't see it, it is hidden, but it is there. If you have the owners maunal it is excatly where it says. Passenger side of the car at the front of the transmission where the engine and tranny meet. Stick your hand under all the air intake piping till you find the tranny and just run your hand around you will find it. Real hard to see but easy to feel out.

Hope that helps. It is there.

Stick your hand under all the air intake piping till you find the tranny and just run your hand around you will find it. Real hard to see but easy to feel out.

The way you describe that sounds almost perverted but I like it. Dirty talk with engine parts. Doesnt get much better hahaah. Thanks for the help guys. I will go take another look on my lunch break.

HAHAHAHA yea I guess it does sound a bit dirty.

I know it is not the most technical way to help you find it but it is how I found mine. If I had some pictures I would shoe you. Once you find it the dipstick id pretty easy to check but I am not sure about filling or using a funel. Hopefully another member has some better luck explaning. LOL

Nicely done. I will look when I leave work. If I find it right away, Im really going to kick myself.

Now not to change topics...and I know this topic is over run....but what gear oil should I run in the front. Factory subaru gear oil or synthetic 75 90? I dont care so much about the new LGT...but what are you older guys running?

Thanks for that picture. I found the dip stick. It was painted black so it was hard to see under all the wires. The dealer told me to use 80-90 in the front and you should be fine. As long as you change it every 30k miles it doesnt matter about all the debate on type and weight.

Thanks for your help dante

I changed out my gear oil last ngiht with no problems. Drained it out nice and added teflon tape to the plug to stop the slow leak. Used a copper pipe from the filler hole up to wear I could pour the oil in. Worked great. I found 75-90 regular vavoline gear oil (Thought I would trust the forum guys over my local dealer). Took about 3.7 quarts. Runs like a champ and shifts great. Thanks for all the help guys

The rear, I just used a half inch socked driver with no socket. Fit quite well. Gave it a little love with my foot, worked perfect. the drain and fill was the easy part. The front was simple enough...took out the plug, and drained. Covered the plug in teflon tape. I filled through the dip stick you so nicely showed me.

Archived