LegacyGT.com

White smoke coming from exhaust!?

I just went through this with my 05 2.5RS. I noticed a small (silver dollar sized) wet spot under my car. Popped the hood and noticed the splash guard under the coolant overflow had coolant on it but the level looked fine. Drove from work to home ( about 50 miles) and checked level again and it was really high (about an inch or so from the top of the overflow tank). Took a walk around the back and was able to see a tiny bit of white smoke. Took it in to the dealer and the confirmed it was a bad head gasket leaking coolant internaly and causing the cooling system to get preassurized (hence the high level after driving).

• 4 years later...
This is happening to me right now with a 2005 5EAT GT also. The difference is I have a new engine build with less than 4k on the engine. Just switched from rotella t6 to Motul 8100, did a car wash and started my car and I noticed a little cloud of white smoke when I started the car. Then, today, the day after car wash, I was sitting in a drive through and I had some abnormal amounts of smoke coming from my exhaust at idle. Just topped off the coolant, which was a tad low and checked the oil. Oil is good. I am running a radiator for an automatic legacy, but not a GT so I have one of the coolant lines plugged ATM. I am intending on fixing that ASAP, I have the correct radiator now. Any ideas? I am likely overly concerned.. everything is running fine and such.

White smoke on start up is normal after an over night. When the exhaust pipes warm up the vapor should stop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived