LegacyGT.com

alternator squeals after sitting overnight

Hello everyone!!

My other half (the dark half LOL) has a 1995 legacy wagon; we bought it a few months ago from a neighbor:body in EXCELLENT shape, AT,120k, new alternator & battery - needed a windshield and it wouldn't start.

So i jumped it and drove it down the hill and brought her home.....

It was making a racket and I popped the hood and the cause of his aggravation was that the "new" alternator he just installed was spinnning on the shaft! (keyway was gone)

(I noticed the can of belt dressing in the back of the car)

Lifetime warranty on the alternator, so I asked him, used his name and got another new one and properly tensioned the belt, replaced the windshield and all was at peace with the world........:lol: the car runs great!

After about a month had to re tension the belt because it started to squeal when started in the morning; I noticed that when driving throughout the day, no squeal when starting only after setting for a spell...... Fast forward to present and the alternator started to squeal again.

So I noticed 2 things -

when I step on the brake the headlights dim slightly &

the squealing only really happens after the car sits for a period of time.

Anyone ever have this problem?

AND

If it is shorting somewhere how will I find it?

Thanks in advance,

tink

Is it a new belt as well? The belt may just be stretched out, especially if it's only squealing while cold or at a startup.

As far as the lights dimming, you may want to clean all your grounds from the battery, and also starter and alternator. Inspect the cables, maybe even replace the terminals.

is it a new belt as well? The belt may just be stretched out, especially if it's only squealing while cold or at a startup.

As far as the lights dimming, you may want to clean all your grounds from the battery, and also starter and alternator. Inspect the cables, maybe even replace the terminals.

+1

i don't have any squeal but the dimming seems normal for stock mid 90's cars. upgrade your grounds, check your belts tension, and possible throw in a bigger alternator ( WRX, STi). the squeal is from an improperly tensioned belt or a bad belt from what you have described

Quick fix for the squeal, and has worked permanently for me in the past is a quick squirt of silicone spray on the belt. Tire shine of the silicone type will work just as well. Certainly stops the immediate annoyance while you choose to do something about it or not. Pop the hood, locate the belt, squirt for about 4-5 secs with the engine running. Easy! :)

For those who think this is a little neanderthal, you are so right but it works :p

^+1

i know it might be a stupid question tink, but have you had a stethescope up to the alternator to be completely sure that's where the noise is coming from? and just to specify, does it squeal only during starting up, or while running when it's cold?

Archived