LegacyGT.com

pros and cons of lowering

sleepin gt

cons:

door will hit all curbs (will need to warn all passengers not to hit the curb), front will scrape on more driveways, door will get stuck in grass on sidewalks, makes the car FEEL slower

pro's:

makes stance nicer, closes wheel gap, makes the car able to turn faster, makes the car handle better

i know it will hit every curb in LA, but is it worth it??

just lookin for some thoughts :D

meh a factory jack is realllly tiny

i dunno where you got it makes car feel slower?

at least for the driver it gives considerably more confidence when driving

inceased feed back

con:

begins endless loop of spending

feeling cracks in the highway

So why didnt u say that? Also, I overreacted to it. I apologize and i will edit my above statement. Sorry.

I agree there will be loss in ride quality but buying a coilover system w/ adjustable damper settings might help to overcome the stiffness. As with almost anything on a vehicle it is a compromise. I used the Tanabe Pro-SS coilovers on my 00 GT-S for years. I was extremely happy concerning the ride quality and the handing improvement. It was rough but not unendurable. Then again i live on an island so 1hr+ trips were not in the picture.

My celica sat alot lower STOCK than this car will sit w/ a drop so i dont think u will scrape as much as u think. As long and u dont slam it down 3". If u do that then u will have more problems like Camber and Toe issues that the stock alignment might not be able to overcome.

On my GT-S i had the following setup:

Tanabe Pro-SS coiloversw/ adjustable camber plates

Tanabe front and rear strut tower bars

Hotchkis front and rear sway bars

Hotchkis camber adjustment kit (rear)

Rear Tanabe Underbrace

cons:

door will hit all curbs (will need to warn all passengers not to hit the curb), front will scrape on more driveways, door will get stuck in grass on sidewalks, makes the car FEEL slower

pro's:

makes stance nicer, closes wheel gap, makes the car able to turn faster, makes the car handle better

i know it will hit every curb in LA, but is it worth it??

just lookin for some thoughts :D

Anti-cons:

-No, I havent hit a curb yet by opening doors and I already dropped my car about 2".

-Dont park so close to curbs. :lol:

-Havent scraped any driveways or coming down from them.. even at 15& slopes

-Havent scratched the underside from driving over BIG speed bumps

Anti-pro:

-misconception that the car will turn better.. proper alignment for performance driving is needed to compensate for the new ride height

-over lowering the car beyond the shock's designed travel suspension can ruin the handling performance of the car

Just pointing some things out for ya.

Keefe

Keefe

Anti-cons:

-Havent scratched the underside from driving over BIG speed bumps

Keefe

I've bottomed out my STOCK GT driving over a small speedbump with 4 people in the car. I wouldn't want it any lower than it is.

My car is about the same height as Xenonk, and I will say that clearance is not an issue with the LGT. I don't have any kind of problems with speed bumps, ramps, bumps and driveways. I think that the shape of the stock bumpers makes the car plenty of clearance and makes it very forgiving of lowering.

I also do not have a problem getting jacks under the car, although I have certainly had that problem on past cars.

The biggest con is going to be the ride. Lowering will reduce suspension travel. To avoid hitting the bump stops, stiffer springs have to be used. That will lead to a harsher ride. If you don't use signifigantly stiffer springs to retain a "stock-like ride" you will bottom out the suspension, with the resulting jounce over larger bumps. There is no free lunch.

My setup has quickened the cars reflexes, reduced body roll and generally made for better handling. I do have to live with a harsher ride. Depending on how I have my dampening set, I can go from better than stock on small bumps but head slaming on big ones (soft dampening), to tooth chattering stiff all the time but controled over big ones (full stiff). I think I settled on my ideal compromise for daily driving, but there will always be a trade-off between ride height, handling and ride.

I've bottomed out my STOCK GT driving over a small speedbump with 4 people in the car. I wouldn't want it any lower than it is.

Just lowering springs right? I have coilovers on mine.. I guess that would play a big difference in it all. Agreed, I wouldn't go any lower if that's what you are using and having 4 people in the car as a common practice.

Keefe

Keefe

Just lowering springs right? I have coilovers on mine.. I guess that would play a big difference in it all. Agreed, I wouldn't go any lower if that's what you are using and having 4 people in the car as a common practice.

Keefe

Nah, I think he actually means totally stock! Probably would happen with 4 hefty people and bad roads. There is really not that much suspension travel in the LGT, especially in front.

Archived