LegacyGT.com

new 09

Hi guys, just picked up a new 09 LGT and wondering when boot kicks in? i've only had it for a week now and am taking it slow and trying to break the engine in properly but wondering when the turbo kicks in? I have tested it a few times and once or twice i've not felt the turbo kick in.

• Moderators

Hey there. I also have a new 2009 GT (bought it in August). I followed what the dealer said and kept the engine below 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles. I feel the turbo kick in around 2750 rpm. Put the car in gear and give it medium throttle on a level straight-away and you will feel the change somewhere between 2500 and 3000 rpm.

I'm up to almost 3000 miles now and I have pushed the car a little bit farther as I've put more miles on it. It is just now starting to settle in. Everything feels a little more natural now. Acceleration is more linear and I have had no problem pushing the car to its limits.

Enjoy the car, it's a lot of fun to drive :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have a 05 manual. When I test drove an automatic 05, it had normal 4 cylinder acceleration until I pushed down on the gas harder. At around 3000 rpm, the turbo kicked in and I felt it. With the manual, I don't feel the difference as much. I think I rev it higher before putting it into gear so the turbo boost is there right away.

first welcome to the forums.

second its boost

third, you didnt test drive one before you bought it? i would have made sure to get a good test drive to get the feel for everything for sure. but maybe someone can answer your question about boost. i have a n/a

thanks for the welcome. I do know it is boost, just missed a letter while typing. Also, i did give it a good test drive and did feel the pull of the turbo around 4k. However the other day i took my dad for a ride and at one point was around 5k rpms and wasn't feeling the extra power from the turbo. i guess there could be a few factors contributing to it at that time but thought i'd ask the guys who have had GT's longer than me.

I probably should have worded my question better but BarMan answered what i was looking for.

My girlfriend has an 09 WRX and i know that the turbo starts to spool up around 2700 rpms on that (and feel it around 3400 rpms) and wasn't sure if the Legacy was the same way since i don't really feel it until 4k

I've got a 09 also, and the turbo seems to come on more smoothly than my previous car, Volvo S70 T5. You start to notice it around 2500, but its not a sudden on/off thing. Especially if you're being extra nice to the car, its hard to really notice.

The mode setting also makes a large difference in the way the car feels. In S#, you can really feel the power, in I mode not so much.

good to see a consensus that the turbo starts around 2700. I agree with Rabid, it is really hard to notice. Originally i wasn't sure if it was the turbo there or just how smooth the motor was, i'm not used to this much power. My previous vehicle was a Pontiac Vibe and while it didn't have much power i rarely had an issue with it...but i did run it pretty hard and redlined fairly often. changing to the LGT i've pretty much doubled my horsepower, the vibe was 126hp.

• 2 weeks later...

i've got some bad news :( last friday/saturday someone damaged my car. Friday, when i got home from work, i parked the car at 5:30 and didn't move it. Saturday around 11am, i was going out with my girlfriend to CVS, come down the stairs of the porch and find a nice large dent on the passenger side rear quarter panel and a smaller one on the rear pillar. I was parked on the street with the passenger side along the sidewalk. I'm quite unhappy, my first pics of it are of dents. Insurance looked at it Monday and quoted repairs at $1100, basically nothing needs to be replaced and it is all paint and body work labor.

while it is in the shop i'll be getting the stock spoiler installed since mine didn't come with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived