LegacyGT.com

Quick! What clutch?

timmahh

So on saturday while driving I took off from a light.. I didn't do a clutch dump or anything I was probably around 1200 - 1500 RPM, the car took off and then it slipped all the way through third gear... as I type this I guess I probably should have stopped.. hmm.. yea, well anywho, so I believe I need a new clutch now..

There is also strange noise when the car is cold, when I shift it sounds like the PB is going "wooowoowoowooo..." ?!

So my eventual mods will probably be basic - up, down, intake, cobb ap.. I'm thinking an ACT/SPEC stage 1.. nothing aggressive, but something better than stock.

WRX single mass flywheel? or is it worth doing a lighter fly wheel?

Any feedback/opinions are great, i'm shifting on borrowed time apparently..

Search - it's been covered to death.

If your FW is toast, you either need a new DMFW (dual mass flywheel) as this is what's already there. It's expensive.

The alternative is to get a WRX FW, which is a little lighter than DMFW. You can go lighter still, but it can affect driveability.

Clutch-wise, ACT HDMM is a well regarded clutch that is used by many. SPEC can be used too - don't know which model I would recommend there. I have an ACT/WRX setup. Can make some rattling noises, and is a heavier pedal feel than stock, but very streetable and holds well.

Also, you may want to learn how to use the clutch better, as it sounds like you (or a previous owner) may be a little too hard on it, especially if you're killing it under a stock tune.

I think i've got shifting down.. I mean it's possible i've been doing it wrong but i've had a total of 6 cars, 5 of which were sticks, and I've only replaced one clutch on my 240sx with 130k+ miles.

The dealer thinks the previous owner may have had a DP due to some missing bolts on the heatshield, which might further explain the stock clutch going out at 47k [if it was modified], i've put 3000 miles on the car.

I did do some searching on Saturday after the incident but didn't end up with a concrete result, I can say that after reading I won't be going with a lighter flywheel, and that I don't think I want to pay the $$$ for a DMFW.

Still pondering the factory clutch but I'd hate to do upgrades in the future and have to change the clutch again.

Can you pair a factory clutch with a WRX FW ?

you can simply due an OEM 07+ LGT or 06+ WRX clutch with the same type of single-mass OEM flywheel. It'll be cheaper overall.

Think about the TSK-3 kit as a permanent upgrade for the OEM throwout bearing.

I assume that's the cause of my whirring noise ?

The throw out bearing is the cause of the noise. It only does it while the clutch is depressed correct?

I'm going with a Spec Stage 2+ with the stock dual mass FW since I drive in the city alot.

Yeah, when I push it in, and I can only really hear it when it's cold.

I won't know if my FW can be reused until its pulled apart right? I heard they aren't supposed to be resurfaced

My TOB is doing the same, I can hear it on warm days but only slightly while in the garage but on cold days, its amplified.

I've also mentioned reusing/resurfacing my flywheel to several people and no one has said "I strongly, STRONGLY recommend against that."

I have been having the same noise before the car is warm. Today though, I was going ip an on ramp in 2nd and I could hear the clutch...I think it was slipping... at around 4k rpms. My clutch was replaced at 24k and the TOB was replaced about 6k ago under warranty.
Rehab is for quitters.

Archived