LegacyGT.com

Finally got a Subie...

All,

As of yesterday, I finally got a Subie... it's a 98 2nd gen Legacy Outback Wagon, std, with the 2.5 in it...and 160k miles.

I'm exceptionally new at this stuff, and have never really done much work on my own cars before.

The car needs some work - but doesn't seem to suffer the head gasket issue I've read so much about. I'd like to replace the door panels, stereo, cupholder and other dash related things, as well as do some engine performance upgrades...

So - I see a lot of people posting about their 2nd gen LGTs...so hopefully someone's got the wagon and can answer some of these questions... TIA...

1) Is there a manual or something that has diagrams on how to disassemble the body/interior/dash that someone recommends? I'm getting a Haynes and Chilton for it next week, but those typically don't discuss body/interior work...specifically assembly/disassembly...

2) Will most of the parts/mods discussed for the LGT work on the LGO?

3) On a '98 Legacy Outback Wagon, what is the difference regarding the engine, suspension, transmission, etc. between the LGT and the LGO Wagon?

4) The shifter seems exceptionally wiggly and loose... is there something that can be done to make it feel a little tighter and more in control when shifting?

5) I've never had a boxer engine, or any 4cyl std that was larger than a 1.8L (sad but true)... my Subie seems to run a higher RPM, even when in a higher gear than I remember from those... seems like it wants to hover around the 3k mark whenever the transmission is engaged...even at 30mph/4th gear. Seems odd...but thought it might be a Subie thing...

Again, thanks in advance... :) Looking forward to playing with this car a little...

Ken

im fairly new at the subie thing to and one thing i have learned it you will hardly find any performance part for a 98 ob. if your gonna do anything to the engine performance wise, you need to search for 99rs parts, its the same engine. as far as the shifter goes, theres a bearing underneath that boot, i forget the name of it....shifter bearing maybe lol, but thats prolly the problem with that. as far a dashboard goes, why do you want to replace door panels and cupholder. and the dash componets are very easy to take out in the legacy, look in the walkthroughs to find out how to take those out. and your rpms, im not sure exactly what your talking about, try to describe it in more detail

I just messed around with my idle today, and got mine to idle at a soothing 750rpm rather than bashing around @ 500 or so. It was rough, but then again mine's an auto. I wouldn't know why yours is hovering around 3k, but maybe check the cables to the pedal and fiddle with those. Does it sound/look like it's idling high out of gear, or only when it's engaged?

• 3 weeks later...
im fairly new at the subie thing to and one thing i have learned it you will hardly find any performance part for a 98 ob. if your gonna do anything to the engine performance wise, you need to search for 99rs parts, its the same engine. as far as the shifter goes, theres a bearing underneath that boot, i forget the name of it....shifter bearing maybe lol, but thats prolly the problem with that. as far a dashboard goes, why do you want to replace door panels and cupholder. and the dash componets are very easy to take out in the legacy, look in the walkthroughs to find out how to take those out. and your rpms, im not sure exactly what your talking about, try to describe it in more detail

Thanks...shifter bearing, I'm making a note of that... :)

The door panels have damage, so I'd like to replace them...and the cupholder is broken / non functional.

The stereo (an odd two component design) also needs to be replaced.

Can anyone point me to a disassembly/assembly book for the interior parts of a Subie?

Thanks,

Ken

I just messed around with my idle today, and got mine to idle at a soothing 750rpm rather than bashing around @ 500 or so. It was rough, but then again mine's an auto. I wouldn't know why yours is hovering around 3k, but maybe check the cables to the pedal and fiddle with those. Does it sound/look like it's idling high out of gear, or only when it's engaged?

It was a vacuum host that was loose and finally came completely off...made the car die completely when trying to idle...

Cheap fix..:)

Can anyone point me to a disassembly/assembly book for the interior parts of a Subie?

I found these scanned manuals from another Forum:

"http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/"

There are .pdfs of FSM for 1997 and 1999 Legacy there.

Here's the original place where I got the info:

"http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14485"

Hope that helps,

riz_o

if anyone needs help with removing dashboard/interior componets i can make some vids, if your like me, i hate picture walkthroughs. the inside of the 2nd gen subies are by far the easiest cars to work with, except a 95 nissan 200sx lol (winter beater 2yrs ago)

Hey I have found the best repair manual I have ever used. It's 25.00 a year. Alldatadiy.com. Check it out. They also provide oem part #'s and technical service bullitens. Well worth it. They also tell you the hours for repairs. This is the same system that proffesional shops use. I love it.

This is the same system that proffesional shops use. I love it.

get to be friends with your local shop owner, thats what my dad did and it paid off when i needed a motor swap and saved about 3k. plus i get free oil changes:). i dont mind doing it myself but the garage heater takes forever to heat up in the winter.

Archived