LegacyGT.com

2010 Buick Regal Grand National

It's a rebadged Opel Insignia their new AWD sports sedan, and the VXR version is pretty nice

http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/2010-Vauxhall-Insignia-VXR-car-walls.jpg

http://www.yosax.com/car_pictures/2009/04/vauxhall-insignia-vxr-photo.jpg

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2009-vauxhall-insignia-vxr-side-588x391.jpg

That version has the 2.8L V6 turbo rated at 320 hp/320 ft-lb tq and AWD

I know that it's the same thing, not nit-picking, just pointing out the car in the pics bares the Vauxhall badge. I do believe the Vauxhall Insignia is the UK-spec Opel.

This car is also badged and sold as a Chevy Vectra for Latin America.

Man ... GM is like an automobile whore.

wow talk about all time misleading thread titles :lol:...not what I was expecting

I'm sorry for fibbing but nobody would click on a "buick grandma mobile thread".

http://www.gnxregistry.com/images/1987_Buick_GNX_track_photo.jpg

I know that it's the same thing, not nit-picking, just pointing out the car in the pics bares the Vauxhall badge. I do believe the Vauxhall Insignia is the UK-spec Opel.

This car is also badged and sold as a Chevy Vectra for Latin America.

Man ... GM is like an automobile whore.

+1

My dad has one, 220hp, 258lbft torque and also available either with 6MT or 6AT...

Very nice car, luxurious and peppy, for its size!!!

Hope they hit the target on this one, pushing GM back up, cause Ford is...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

opel_insignia_opc-5626-56.jpg.9799d1acacd2616875a5d08920a18857.jpg

220 hp is underpowered for a fullsize sedan anyway. honda accords, and nissan maximas are putting out 260ish. the 2.0 turbo cobalt ss/ solstice gxp put out 260hp and those platforms are 3-3200lbs, those buicks have to be over 3500lbs. gm needs so supercharge the new camaros V6 motor and slap that into the grand national. also the GN should have the body of the riviera that was at sema a few years ago with the coupe body style.

Thats a pretty weak engine for a car that big. 220hp is not sporty in car like that.

I don't think that it is supposed to be sport.

I love how turbos are suddenly every automaker's magic answer to fuel economy ratings.

A sedan like that would drive much better with a small v6 and would get within 1mpg of the same rating.

GM has had the 2.0L Turbo around for sometime now. They're just using it more. But, yes automakers have used to turbos for years to do exactly what you just said. This is nothing new. This car is probably better off with this engine than the crappy DI 3.0L from GM.

But, yes automakers have used to turbos for years to do exactly what you just said. This is nothing new.

Chrysler used turbos for this purpose. Ford & Chevy had no widespread use of turbos until recently. They each had one or two niche cars (think Sunbird or Probe turbo) but the entire Chrysler/Dodge lineup offered turbos in some way. They crammed them into everything from Spirit/Sundances to Lebarons to minivans. I washed cars at a Chrysler dealership in the late 80s so I saw 'em all.

• 1 year later...
yeah Chrysler had some turbocharged sleepers back in the day...Spirit R/T, Omni GLH and GLHS variants

The Conquest is also a pretty good platform to start a build with.

Spirit R/T. Terrible platform but an amazing engine. I wish they had found a talented platform for that engine, unfortunately that was the "K" car era where every car looked the same underneath, LOL.

It was fast in it's day though.

I like the Buick, not too sporty but I agree it might make a great DD. Gas mileage is what its all about guys. People want torque but want reasonable gas mileage. Generally a high output turbo 4 is torquier than a small V6.

Spirit R/T. Terrible platform but an amazing engine. I wish they had found a talented platform for that engine, unfortunately that was the "K" car era where every car looked the same underneath, LOL.

It was fast in it's day though.

I like the Buick, not too sporty but I agree it might make a great DD. Gas mileage is what its all about guys. People want torque but want reasonable gas mileage. Generally a high output turbo 4 is torquier than a small V6.

I had one of those as a company car. It was a blast to drive. And was trouble free until I blew a head gasket at 160,000 miles.

• 3 months later...

The GS got a small bump in power to 270hp. I've heard tuners are already working on making tunes. The same engine in the Cobalt SS is capable of putting out over 300 to the wheel with tune and exhaust.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/buick-announces-that-the-2012-regal-gs-will-have-270-hp-not-255/

Edit: just read it will no longer be AWD. **** you GM.

The GS got a small bump in power to 270hp. I've heard tuners are already working on making tunes. The same engine in the Cobalt SS is capable of putting out over 300 to the wheel with tune and exhaust.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/buick-announces-that-the-2012-regal-gs-will-have-270-hp-not-255/

Edit: just read it will no longer be AWD. **** you GM.

This car is really nice and all, great fit and finish, I had test drove it when it came out, but to me (again my personal opinion) is a no-no simply because it's FWD...

Shame on GM for not offering AWD on these models any longer... Any true enthusiast and race oriented mind will really prefer RWD or AWD, and never WWD (Wrong Wheel Drive).

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

yeah Chrysler had some turbocharged sleepers back in the day...Spirit R/T, Omni GLH and GLHS variants

The Conquest is also a pretty good platform to start a build with.

Except for the engine that came in the conquest. Single overhead cam 3 valve per cylinder 2.6 4 cylinder turbo, it was weak.

This car is really nice and all, great fit and finish, I had test drove it when it came out, but to me (again my personal opinion) is a no-no simply because it's FWD...

Shame on GM for not offering AWD on these models any longer... Any true enthusiast and race oriented mind will really prefer RWD or AWD, and never WWD (Wrong Wheel Drive).

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

You testdrove "Regal Turbo", not GS.

Archived