LegacyGT.com

jumper cable question

tedsan126

Positive always first (less arcing -SP?)

Neg. from Neg term. on good battery to chassis on the battery that's low.

Please don't do it any other way. I have worked for 4 dealerships as a kid, helped Dad maintain his fleet vehicles, and at one time managed a Kragen Auto Parts (where you see all kinds of strange things) and all instructed to do it the same way.

You'll find someone that has done it a million times "his own way" but under just the right circumstances any other way increases the chance of your battery exploding.

I have never witnessed it but I have arrived on the scene 10 min. afterward. Battery acid everywhere, and if you're in front of it...flying plastic debrit.

Be carefull...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The negative cable from the battery goes straight to the chassis anyway. That way, manufacturers don't have to run positive and negative wires all through the car. For example, to power the window motors they only need to wire a positive from the battery, and a negative to the chassis. It makes everything easier.

This is why you can just run the negative jumper cable straight to a non-painted, non-rusted part of the chassis.

The negative cable from the battery goes straight to the chassis anyway. That way, manufacturers don't have to run positive and negative wires all through the car. For example, to power the window motors they only need to wire a positive from the battery, and a negative to the chassis. It makes everything easier.

This is why you can just run the negative jumper cable straight to a non-painted, non-rusted part of the chassis.

Which makes wiring LEDs off of a cigarette lighter pretty easy. Keeping the solders together on the kinds of roads that Subarus owners drive on = not so easy.

Archived