LegacyGT.com

Winter tire responsiveness

It's a shame more people don't just look at the speed rating, because it tells you so much in such a little letter. Can you tell me real quick what a speed rating means without looking it up, and then tell me how that matters in a consumer's tire buying consideration?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yes, surgical tire. Trouble is it's not so hot on ice.

I guess I'll find out in the next few month's. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll report back if I can find this thread, on how they compare to my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's that I have been running the past four Winters. Those tires had more dry performance then my Dunlop Summer only tire. They were also great in snow and ice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Speed rating just means that when properly inflated the tire is capable of being driven in a straight line on a smooth surface, with it's rated load and at the letter designated speed for 10 min without failing. Speed ratings are based on a laboratory endurance test where the tire is rolled against a metal drum, run at increasing speed steps lasting 10 min each.

It provides no information about any other characteristics of the tire such as responsiveness or ride harshness. Nor does it say anything about the tire's handling and braking capabilities in dry, wet, snow, ice, or cold conditions.

here check this out. you can see the special compound thats still left on the tire its a little bit more gray and the rest down is the regular "winter compound" as says tire rack. Lotta sipes too im happy with the buy, ended up paying 275 shipped for them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Max00racer/CIMG5070.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Max00racer/CIMG5071.jpg

Just wait until you drive in some snow and ice. You will quickly forget about performance issues and be addicted to snow tires forever. I don't know why anyone in a snow climate uses all-seasons

It depends upon the miles you rack up. If you live in the mountains or that sort of driving accounts for most of your mileage, get true snows. If you live where snow comes a few times a year but most of your mileage is traveled over salted and/or dry interstates get some contiextremecontacts. Not a snow tire but still good in the snow. Handles dry and wet with no problem. Great winter tire for the urban performance AWDer that can handle a few warm days too and still stay fresh. Cook them on hot interstates and they probably would lose half their usefulness in the snow. It's more of a 3 season tire for Subie owners.

here check this out. you can see the special compound thats still left on the tire its a little bit more gray and the rest down is the regular "winter compound" as says tire rack. Lotta sipes too im happy with the buy, ended up paying 275 shipped for them.

You have one winter with these tires and they turn into a really crappy all-season tire. The other owner likely dumped them as they knew they were nearly worn out and found someone willing to buy them.

A sad fact of life of winter tires is that they turn no better or worse than an average all-season after 50% wear.

You have one winter with these tires and they turn into a really crappy all-season tire. The other owner likely dumped them as they knew they were nearly worn out and found someone willing to buy them.

A sad fact of life of winter tires is that they turn no better or worse than an average all-season after 50% wear.

FML, then again i'd rather pay that price to have a winters worth of good traction than to have just kept my re050a's in a snowbelt region, i think my odds weighed out pretty well. could have maybe gotten a better deal if i waited longer but better safe than sorry

Snow tires are just that, for snow. They feel squishy and loose on dry pavement, and at any temps much over 40*. But in sub zero temps, and a foot or more of snow, I wouldn't trade my Blizzaks for anything. :spin:

Except for a set of Nokian or Continental winters then I suppose! :D

453747.png

Holy smokes!!!! someone who knows what they are talking about;):)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Didn't read all the posts so sry if I am repeating....

"Winter" tires (Snow is a misnomer) are designed to work best at sub zero celsius (32F) As it gets colder the rubber compound in a winter tire stays soft allowing some grip unlike a summer tire that hardens to the point they act like hockey pucks. This is great for those cold winter roads. The prob is when its warm out winter tires get too soft. That is prob that 'squishy' you are feeling. If it gets warm enough you can actually peel/ slough the rubber off a set of winters in a good hard corner and find yourself in a ditch.

Tread patterns determin a tire's effectiveness for snow traction. Some winter tires are marketed as "High Performance Sport" etc for more agressive driving. Usless IMO as they reduce/eliminate the features inherent in a good winter tire.

Hope that helps. :D

Don't forget the siping and smaller treadblocks on winter tires - they will lean and move around far more easily because the treadblocks are smaller... versus a warm-weather tire which doesn't have as many, so the blocks are larger and more resilient to "leaning" as you corner, accel, or brake.

Dunlop Wintersport M3's FTW. They feel almost as good as my RE050's. No sluggish performance at all.

+1 on those tires...

Very good grip and not sluggish at all, but again I keep them at 38-40 psi too...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived