LegacyGT.com

Will a catless DP pass CA emissions?

GrampsWRX

Thanks for the info. I really wonder if the guy I go to would even bother with a real visual ( and see my crucial DP) Last time I took my 97 F150 down there the gas cap failed the "suck test". So he said "no problem" and just put his mouth over the tube and it passed !

Wow, you gotta tell me where your guy is :-)

It must be a huge expense in CA to check all these cars. People must take time off work and pay a fee to have their cars checked. How often must you have it checked? Do they check trucks too? Trucks put out much more with their low mpg. Do they check the big semi trucks? If the state checks small cars, they should check the big engine trucks.

It must be a huge expense in CA to check all these cars. People must take time off work and pay a fee to have their cars checked. How often must you have it checked? Do they check trucks too? Trucks put out much more with their low mpg. Do they check the big semi trucks? If the state checks small cars, they should check the big engine trucks.

Cost for an inspection runs anywhere from around $50 TO $85. Many places offer "specials" and "coupons".

Usually takes about 30 minutes for an inspection (if you are stock) I have had them take 1-2 hours for modified vehicles.

New cars get there first inspection 4 years after purchase. Every other year from there on out.

All passenger vehicles get smogged. Rules are different for Class A vehicles and diesels.

Even motorhomes, busses, etc. get smogged. If its on a CA highway (legally) California Air Resources Board has governing regulations.

Laws in the works now to outlaw new 2 stroke sales for dirt bikes and ATV's. They are even thinking about regulating OHV's. Already have noise ordinances for OHV exhausts. Kalifornia is one oppressive country.

Cost for an inspection runs anywhere from around $50 TO $85. Many places offer "specials" and "coupons".

Usually takes about 30 minutes for an inspection (if you are stock) I have had them take 1-2 hours for modified vehicles.

New cars get there first inspection 4 years after purchase. Every other year from there on out.

As I read it, from 2005 on, you are "free" from smog check for 6 years, and need it done in the 7th. We bought our '05 in Jan '05, so I expect it to require testing in 2012 (or maybe 2011, depending on how the 6/7 thing works).

Depends on where you live in the state. From the CA DMV website;

My car is new. Am I still required to get the biennial smog inspection?

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles

Counties that require biennial smog inspections are listed above.

And the list of counties;

Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles Madera Marin Merced Monterey Napa Nevada Orange Sacramento San Benito San Francisco San Joaquin San Luis Obispo San Mateo Santa Barbara Santa Clara Santa Cruz Shasta Solano Stanislaus Sutter Tehama Tulare Ventura Yolo Yuba There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Follow this link to determine which Zip Codes are included.

Got to be careful as the laws are ever changing. Take nothing for granted. Check the DMV website before selling a buying/selling/registering a car.

• 4 years later...

Archived