LegacyGT.com

2006 Evo Ix

Think it's a bit lame for them to call it the

EVO 9 with just minor changes but anyways...

have you guys seen this yet:

10 more hp

3 more ft-lbs torque

Subaru BETTER make the 06 STI come with

at least 10 more HP and TQ and make

some other mods if it wants to keep up

with this new EVO

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=105130?tid=edmunds.h..insideline.promo.2g.*#16

Well, I'm not sure they put wider tires on the EVO 9

but I doubt that would affect or "crush" 10 additional hp.

They did do other revisions as well:

Better Aerodynamics

Slightly lighter wheels

New Spark plugs

Larger turbo (apparently gives 5% less lag too)

And they added MIVEC (they're VTEC) which should give

more power throughout.

Oh, and they improved the 5 speed manuals gear ratios.

I'm betting the EVO 9 is at least .2 tenths quicker to 60

and .3 tenths and 2 mph faster in the 1/4.

I'm sure they improved the handling a bit too, along with

the high speed stability. It's probably still not nearly

as liveable as a daily driver as the STI...but I'd still hope

Subaru would counter with more power in the 06 STI

I'm not a fan of the new front bumper, think the 8 looked much better. JDM 9 also got a new rear bumper, USDM didn't. Mivec supposedly made a "noticable" change throughout the revs so I'm anxious to see some dynos and 1/4 mile times. Supposedly 07 should see the Evo X, which will be a completely new car, new chasis and engine, wait and see I guess.
.o0O0o.

Well, with the change to the EVO 9 for 2006 and mild redesign and updated

engine and such, I doubt Mitsu will come out with a completely new

car (EVO X) just one year after that.

I'd bet more like 2008

Think it's a bit lame for them to call it the

EVO 9 with just minor changes but anyways...

have you guys seen this yet:

10 more hp

3 more ft-lbs torque

Subaru BETTER make the 06 STI come with

at least 10 more HP and TQ and make

some other mods if it wants to keep up

with this new EVO

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=105130?tid=edmunds.h..insideline.promo.2g.*#16

That is how they work the versions, minor upgrade gets a new version. EVO I II III all looked simular, IV V VI simular, VII VIII IX etc...

Same with STi, version 1 2 3 4 5 6 all the same basicly, 7 was bug eye now 8 is current, 9 is just coming out in japan... next gen impreza will be 10. They match version for version with mitsubishi.

Evo is a 2.0 turbo, and sti is a 2.5 turbo...how are they contenders?

Both are highly developed, rally inspired, 4 cylinder, turbocharged, all wheel drive sport sedans. Everywhere else in the world the STi is 2.0 liter as well. The STi has a slight hp/tq advantage but otherwise they are very well matched.

.o0O0o.

Both are highly developed, rally inspired, 4 cylinder, turbocharged, all wheel drive sport sedans. Everywhere else in the world the STi is 2.0 liter as well. The STi has a slight hp/tq advantage but otherwise they are very well matched.

In terms of performance.

But in terms of quality...

I'd take the STI.

I don't think Subaru needs to one-up Mitsu for every model change. Mitsu is in financial troubles and many an EVO owner has been denied warranty coverage for little reason. Seems like a gamble at best (at least in the US) to buy an EVO. Before I read up on some of the issues, I tried to decide between the STi and an EVO. Once I did, it wasn't hard from an ownership standpoint to make the decision.

Very few people in this country look at what the Brits call TCO - Total Cost of Ownership. Basically, what it costs to acquire the car, insure it, run it, maintain it, etc minus resale at 5 years old. Subaru wins that comparison hands down. Who cares if it is a tick slower in the 1/4 or on the track if you are using the car as a daily driver?

I don't think Subaru needs to one-up Mitsu for every model change. Mitsu is in financial troubles and many an EVO owner has been denied warranty coverage for little reason. Seems like a gamble at best (at least in the US) to buy an EVO. Before I read up on some of the issues, I tried to decide between the STi and an EVO. Once I did, it wasn't hard from an ownership standpoint to make the decision.

Very few people in this country look at what the Brits call TCO - Total Cost of Ownership. Basically, what it costs to acquire the car, insure it, run it, maintain it, etc minus resale at 5 years old. Subaru wins that comparison hands down. Who cares if it is a tick slower in the 1/4 or on the track if you are using the car as a daily driver?

What factor caused the Subie to win hands down? My guess is the resale. When I went shopping for my evo I had a long list of other cars as well. Cost wise I could get it without a big markup, insurance wise even a regular wrx was more expensive, gas consumption is quite a bit better than the STi, now scheduled maintenance is free for 3 years and the warranty is almost twice as long as the subie. When I had my evo things DID get covered under warranty (except for my clutch! :lol: , but I guess thats to be expected, the dealer themselves did cover half of the cost though)

.o0O0o.

Well, I just looked at the latest figures on TCO from Edmunds, and I stand corrected. At the time I was looking a year and a half ago, it wasn't that way. I guess the horror stories about dealer's denying the warranty is what shifted my focus to Subaru.

As for warranty coverage:

Subaru

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.

Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.

Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.

Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

Mitsubishi

Basic: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.

Drivetrain: 10 yr. / 100,000 mi.

Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.

Rust: 7 yr. / 100,000 mi.

Everyone cross your fingers and hope that Mitsu makes it through their current financial difficulties to honor what they say they will. A bankruptcy makes this null and void.

Archived