LegacyGT.com

Looking to go from STi go 4th gen LGT

Hi all currently driving an '04 JBP STi that is lightly modded (UTEC, helix dp, borla hush, and some other minor mods, 300/300 @ wheels) but ready to trade her for a 4th Gen LGT.

Anything I should be looking out for when searching used LGTs? I love my Sti but I am getting married next Sept. and also working on selling a condo and trying to buy a house with my fiance. If I could I would own both an STi and LGT but we want to have any money we can available for wedding, honeymoon, renovations, etc.

As for dropping the STi I have 95k miles on it and with the commuting I do in and out of DC I'm just getting a little tired of manual, stiff suspension, and gas mileage. Reason I am choosing the LGT is because I am hooked on subaru AWD and also feel the 4th Gen LGT is a sexy car. My fiance also dislikes my STi due mainly to the suspension heh. We have seen some 4th gen LGTs out on the road and she is a big fan of their look and says I have the green light to trade "as long as the ride isn't as rough" lol.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I live in DC and use my car to commute for work daily. I had an 05' legact gt and loved it but it was auto and was getting up there in mileage so I decided to trade her in for an 08 Spec.B. If you are looking for something like the STi, only in a legacy package, the Spec.B is a good bet since you still get the 6-speed manual, rear lsd, billstein dampers, and a great interior. You can find a used spec.b in the low to mid 20's. Mine came with sti pinks and short throw shifter so it feels good and is a little harsh for a city car, but the improved handling is worth it. The clutch is light and easy to modulate, even in traffic, and with the short throw shifter the gear engagement is precise.

Thanks, good info in there.

I live in DC and use my car to commute for work daily. I had an 05' legact gt and loved it but it was auto and was getting up there in mileage so I decided to trade her in for an 08 Spec.B. If you are looking for something like the STi, only in a legacy package, the Spec.B is a good bet since you still get the 6-speed manual, rear lsd, billstein dampers, and a great interior. You can find a used spec.b in the low to mid 20's. Mine came with sti pinks and short throw shifter so it feels good and is a little harsh for a city car, but the improved handling is worth it. The clutch is light and easy to modulate, even in traffic, and with the short throw shifter the gear engagement is precise.

Hmm see I'm not exactly looking for something like the STi. I would actually prefer something with auto and softer suspension. Low to mid 20s is also a bit high. I would probably get between 12-15k for my STi and trying to find something comparable or throw in 5k or less on top of it.

Sounds like you're ready to make the switch.

Some of your modifications will be compatible with the LGT, so keep those.

Also, consider opening up your LGT search range to the whole country. This may be necessary, as the sweet ones are often hard to find, depending on which ones you're looking for. The 5AT is common, but if you get one from below the snow belt, you get to start out without nearly as much corrosion on many random metal parts. We compared some of my LGT metal to a TX-only LGT, and I will keep it south for the source of my next car.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Sounds like you're ready to make the switch.

Some of your modifications will be compatible with the LGT, so keep those.

Also, consider opening up your LGT search range to the whole country. This may be necessary, as the sweet ones are often hard to find, depending on which ones you're looking for. The 5AT is common, but if you get one from below the snow belt, you get to start out without nearly as much corrosion on many random metal parts. We compared some of my LGT metal to a TX-only LGT, and I will keep it south for the source of my next car.

Curious which parts will fit on the LGT? As of now I wasn't really planning on going back to stock but might consider if I could re-use a lot.

I traded my 06 STi last year for an 08 LGT automatic and don't really miss the STi that much. I spend most of my time sitting in traffic so the legacy does the trick.

did you test drive both manual and auto? Do you miss manual at all?

did you test drive both manual and auto? Do you miss manual at all?

I didn't drive the manual. My car was a leftover 08 in the color I wanted and with nav(only available w/auto on the regular LGT). My wife has an Accord V6 w/6spd manual that is a far smoother transmission than any Subaru I have driven for when I really want to drive a manual. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the auto unless you are trying to turn your legacy into an Sti.

Interesting thread as I'm looking to dump both my DD (truck) and toy car for a legacy GT at the moment...that or a 2010 F150. I'm going to miss having a truck but the LGT will be easier to park.

Looking to work in Herndon and live in Fairfax (fair oaks area)...so my commute shouldn't be too bad.

I didn't drive the manual. My car was a leftover 08 in the color I wanted and with nav(only available w/auto on the regular LGT). My wife has an Accord V6 w/6spd manual that is a far smoother transmission than any Subaru I have driven for when I really want to drive a manual. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the auto unless you are trying to turn your legacy into an Sti.

Not at all, I was leaning towards the auto myself just due to DC area rush hour traffic. Was just curious being a former STi owner if you missed it at all. I doubt I will as well. I had a beater civic that I was driving for work but it died which is also part of the reason I'd like to switch to a LGT instead of buying another beater and keeping the STi.

If I were to do any mods it would be simple like exhaust and tune, but even that wouldnt happen for atleast a year or two as I'm assuming most of my disposable income will be going towards house renovations.

Sounds like you have made up your mind. I once heard that the STi is fun when you first get out of college and can barely afford it. After I had the house and a kid the Legacy was just much more practical. Not sure about your budget but they actually have a leftover 09 on the lot at a local dealer.

Archived