LegacyGT.com

2005 Saabaru 9-2 X AERO

excerpts from Autoweek for 28 March:

the 9-2X's roof, doors and rear quarter panels are taken from Subaru, the rest of the sheetmetal is new. Signature SAAB face and taillight treatment (although hood scoop reminds of the Legacy).

Same engine and gearbox (2.0 L, DOHC, H4 and 5 speed gearbox) with same specs and same performance as the WRX, same 6.1 sec for 0-60 mph acceleration. Apparently it has the STi 's quicker steering rack. Apparently thicker carpets and better sound insulation.

In short, it is a restyled WRX Wagon that features optional packages that include 17 inch wheels with performance tires (1950 $), heated front seats, outside mirrors, wiper de-icer ($ 600); premium pkg leather seats and door inserts, bi-xenon headlights ($ 1700). However the interior mirrors the WRX

Saabaru features one year extra warranty and 2 years of free maintenance.

No navigation is being offered and the Cd player cannot play MP-3s.

Click HERE for pictures of this car.

Personally...it is scary that GM is forcing 2 otherwise distinct and reputable companies to start working together and sell us the same product under 2 different names. By 2007 we shall see G6 sedans and Pontiac Grand Prixs with Legacy AWD systems.

Click HERE for pictures of this car.

Personally...it is scary that GM is forcing 2 otherwise distinct and reputable companies to start working together and sell us the same product under 2 different names. By 2007 we shall see G6 sedans and Pontiac Grand Prixs with Legacy AWD systems.

Scary is a bit of an overstatement. IMO, if the B9 and new Impreza are the new face of Subaru, I hope Saab copies the entire line.

Same engine and gearbox (2.0 L, DOHC, H4 and 5 speed gearbox) with same specs and same performance as the WRX, same 6.1 sec for 0-60 mph acceleration.

I can assure you, neither the WRX (with auto) nor the 9-2x goes 0-60 in 6.1. The automatic tranny in those cars absolutely kill its acceleration. That performance # is for the 5-speed only.

It's funny it took Autoweek this long to test the 9-2X

Considering it's been out now for what...about a year?

It is indeed the manual they tested.

Autoweeks numbers are pretty consistent to what

others are getting for the WRX and WRX wagon.

Seems most get upper 5's to 60 with the WRX and WRX wagon

and low 6's for the 9-2X since it weighs about 165 pounds more.

one big bonus: if you're eligible for the GM employee pricing (i am), you can basically get the nicer interior 92-x for a song.

in that specific case, it's well worth it and the added trivial bonuses such as warranty an whatever are just gravy.

Scary is a bit of an overstatement. IMO, if the B9 and new Impreza are the new face of Subaru, I hope Saab copies the entire line.

Agreed. If that B9 face makes it onto another vehicle, then they just lost a customer three years from now. Because that is hideous.

Audi just lost an A6 sale due to their ugly nose, and Subaru got me back with their nicely styled Legacy GT wagons.

Maybe that Acura RL will just keep getting better. One can hope that by 2007 it will have gone on a diet and gone hybrid...

Or as you say, we could be shopping at a Saab dealer for our replacement vehicles if GM is smart.

I also have an '04 WRX wagon, and I think the Saab 9-2 aero is a much better looking car. Quiter would be nice as well.

went to the auto show in n.y. today

went by saab and said in a slightly loud voice "hey look, it's a saabaru"

by the look on one of the saab personnel, he wasn't amused :lol:

I say that to my GF re her 93Saab, hmmm lets say... not impressed.

Adam.

went to the auto show in n.y. today

went by saab and said in a slightly loud voice "hey look, it's a saabaru"

by the look on one of the saab personnel, he wasn't amused :lol:

ANd he'll be the first to tell you that the 9-7x is not a rebadged Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier either. Though, the ad states that the ignition is in the center at least. The 9-2x is a big flop and a shoddy effort at badge management on the cheap.

Archived